Thread: Functions

Unanswered: Functions

Hello All,

Is there a mechanism in Sybase similar to function (create function..) in Oracle ? I want to process each record in a table through a sequence of validations and whenever a validation fails insert into a table with detail info. I am trying to avoid multiple insert statements after each validation. Invoking another stored proc is an option. I am thinking of using goto label. Thanks in advance for any advice

CREATE FUNCTION in Sybase is limited to Java static methods only.

From what you are saying, I don't think there is any need for you to CREATE FUNCTION's rather use the #(temp) tables feature in Sybase. Hold whatever data in those # tables during processing. When the stored proc exits those tables will be automatically dropped.

Thanks for your reply. I want to pass each record through 8 validations. A record may fail validation 8 times and i want to insert into a temp table 8 times with failed validation description each time. What i want to do is to avoid 8 insert statements but to pass validation failure message to a function which does the insert. Please advice

Originally posted by willy_and_the_ci
    CREATE FUNCTION in Sybase is limited to Java static methods only.

From what you are saying, I don't think there is any need for you to CREATE FUNCTION's rather use the #(temp) tables feature in Sybase. Hold whatever data in those # tables during processing. When the stored proc exits those tables will be automatically dropped.