Unanswered: Access xp importing data

Hi All,

I have tried to import data files from dbIII plus with 90% success but in the case of two files I received the message "The search key was not found in any record". MS help has no advice on this, neither does it say what the search key process is in this respect.

The two files concerned were constructed in exactly the same way as all the others.

I did manage to get round this by using my laptop and importing those files into Access 97 without difficulty. I then successfully imported the Access 97 files into Access XP but I would like to be able to do this directly.

Any advice please?

Regards,
    Taxes.
    taxes

oh dear

Sounds like a corrupt database to me?

Anyone else agree?

Is there a seperate front-end and back-end?
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Hi garethdart'

(you sound like a Welshman living in Devon!!)

"Sounds like a corrupt database to me?"

But I can access it o.k. in dBaseIII plus and when I import it into Access97 and from there to Access XP it works fine.

"Is there a seperate front-end and back-end?"

Not that I know of, but I am not sure what you mean.

Regards,
    taxes.
    taxes

Originally posted by taxes
    Hi garethdart'

(you sound like a Welshman living in Devon!!)

"Sounds like a corrupt database to me?"

But I can access it o.k. in dBaseIII plus and when I import it into Access97 and from there to Access XP it works fine.

"Is there a seperate front-end and back-end?"

Not that I know of, but I am not sure what you mean.

Regards,
    taxes.
    Something to keep in mind: Not all versions of databases have a direct import path ... Some you do have to do what you did (import thru an earlier version a.ka. an intermediary) because direct version support can be dropped ...

Hi M Owen

"Some you do have to do what you did (import thru an earlier version a.ka. an intermediary) because direct version support can be dropped ..."

Understood, but I successfully imported 90% of the tables from dBaseIII plus directly into Access vb.

Regards,

Taxes.
    taxes

Ha!

Welshman living in Wales!

"The search key was not found in any record"
    ...can be caused by a few things...

The two files concerned were constructed in exactly the same way as all the others.

Think you mean seperate access databases?

If so, do any of the field names contain spaces?

I think that can also cause this error message

A few links;

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=301474

http://support.microsoft.com/?id=302525
    Windows Server 2003-8 / Terminal Services / SQL 2000 / Access 2003 / Office 2003-7 / Exchange 2003-7 / Blackberry Enterprise Server / AutoCAD / Lambert And Butler / Red Bull

Originally posted by taxes
    Hi M Owen

"Some you do have to do what you did (import thru an earlier version a.ka. an intermediary) because direct version support can be dropped ..."

Understood, but I successfully imported 90% of the tables from dBaseIII plus directly into Access vb.

Regards,

Taxes.
    Ok. My fault for not reading the posts better ... Anything special about these tables? If my memory serves me correctly Dbase III is an ISAM DB ... So the tables have separate index files ... Since you could import all the files thru 97 but not XP I would guess that there was a compatibility issue that XP did not support/recognize ...

Hi Gareth

"The two files concerned were constructed in exactly the same way as all the others.

Think you mean seperate access databases?

If so, do any of the field names contain spaces? "

No, in dBaseIII plus each table is a separate file and I meant that they were constructed exactly the same as the ones which were imported directly into Access XP

dBaseIII plus does not allow spaces in field names. All the tables, including those successfully imported directly, contained an indexed field "ACC_NO".

I will take time off now to investigate the links you mentioned.

Many thanks

(I can look out of my bedroom window and see from Newport to Cardiff!)

Taxes
    taxes

Hi M. Owen,

"If my memory serves me correctly Dbase III is an ISAM DB ... So the tables have separate index files ... "

Correct. But the tables I successfully imported directly had indexes on the same field as the two I could not.

Regards,
    Taxes
    taxes

Hi Gareth,

I downloaded SP8 but it has made no difference but at least I have now got the update which I thought came automatically!

Thanks everyone. I guess this problem will have to remain a mystery, but at least I have got round it and the need should not arise again.

Regards to all,

Taxes.
    taxes