Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unanswered: Using a Table for Users to Logon

Hi

Can anyone tell me how to use a table to provide the user security in an access database. The company I work for has a database that has been created and now needs changes, unfortunately the guys that were supporting the database in the department have left and now it down to me to make the changes. The main problem is they've locked out Forms, Reports and Modules, so i can't get it to those to make some necessary changes, so what I'm doing is building a new version of the database and importing tables & queries from the previous one. But because I want it to look as similar to the original as possible I need to know how to use the table to creat a user logon form where a password is required etc.

Thanks

Bertthefreak

Re: Using a Table for Users to Logon

Originally posted by bertthefreak
    Hi

Can anyone tell me how to use a table to provide the user security in an access database. The company I work for has a database that has been created and now needs changes, unfortunately the guys that were supporting the database in the department have left and now it down to me to make the changes. The main problem is they've locked out Forms, Reports and Modules, so i can't get it to those to make some necessary changes, so what I'm doing is building a new version of the database and importing tables & queries from the previous one. But because I want it to look as similar to the original as possible I need to know how to use the table to creat a user logon form where a password is required etc.

Thanks

Bertthefreak
    Well if you have a table with security permissions that each form (that requires security or authorization) will query from that would do the trick ... Is this what you're looking for? BTW, this scheme will obviate the need for the access permissions thru groups or accounts (th built in stuff) ...

That What I was thinking, whoever set up the original database didn't use the built in user security wizards, and did it through a table. the they've also managed to prevent access to some of the options.

So, what do you want to do??? I use this scheme for the security that is required for the development that I do ... A good example is this:

I have a table of user permissions. Only the administrator can access this. Since a user can use the system.mdw and defacto login as the Admin (default) I had to add extra security (via a special password) to allow access to this form ...

Basically, the users at the minute are promted for their Username/Password. this then determines what they have access to, instead of it being doing via user-level security it all seems to be done with the form/Table.

Basically, the users at the minute are promted for their Username/Password. this then determines what they have access to, instead of it being doing via user-level security it all seems to be done with the form/Table.
    Ok ... So what's the problem?

I can't make any changes to the current database, and need to build a new one because there and a number of important changes that need to be made but the current database is locked, and there is no one from the original team available to work on it. So I need to know how to do some of things that have been done previously.

Ah ... How is it "locked"? What is locked in it? If you go in as Admin (thru the system.mdw) you cannot access everything?

the only things I can access at the minute are tables & queries, the rest I can view but can not edit.

the only things I can access at the minute are tables & queries, the rest I can view but can not edit.
    Is this an MDE file?

yeah, and I've been told it's not possible to "reverse engineer" the database. the backend had only the table and nothing else.

That is correct. You can import the tables and queries from an MDE but not the forms ... For the code you have to go back to the original MDB file ... No other choice.

I don't have access to it, I've only got the backend and frontend. which doesn't help much. Which is why I'm rebuilding the whole thing (or at least trying to).

I don't have access to it, I've only got the backend and frontend. which doesn't help much. Which is why I'm rebuilding the whole thing (or at least trying to).
    That sucks! Since you've no code what I'd recommend is to run the forms and try to hit every bell and whistle and feature (down to the error messages also) and then re-code ...

There is no way to get the MDB? What about a backup? At least you'd have something to work with ...

Provided Answers: 5
    If you can import the objects into a new database than you have more permissions than you realize and I do notn understand why you would not be able to edit objects in the existing container. If there is a password for the Admin user than it sounds like they never created an MDW (workgroup file) and are using the system.mdw file that is provided by access, and then created a password for the Admin user. If this is the case , you could use the wrkgadm.exe file to attach to a default system.mdw from the office cd (depending on version) and then try to open the db, at that point you would not be asked for a password for the admin user.

If they have indeed created their own mdw file - you never heard this from me, but there are utilities that can "crack" the mdw file- providing username, PID, and password information. They run about 40 to $80 US Dollars. If however the frontend is an MDE file - you are screwed. Sorry for being so candid, but if you can import forms, modules, etc than it is not an MDE