Thread: Query Question

Question Unanswered: Query Question

I have a subquery in which I have combined the answers to two or more fields that are checkboxes. I need to see only the ones that are not Null. I tried the Is Not Null command and it did not work. Any suggestions?

Let me give you a little more background:

My main table consists of nothing but checkboxes and a few text boxes. In order to print my report and make it more user friendly, I had to make a subquery that would make the checkboxes show abbreviations in the report. No problem, did that. My problem now is, I have a field (Restraints) that combines several other fields; i.e. 2 (2-person), 3 (3-person), SH (Standing Hold), SC (Small Child). If this Restraint field is left empty, I don't want to see the record. I need to tally all of the restraints for the month.

Earth | North America | United States | California | Long Beach
    Checkboxes would most likely be selected as TRUE/FALSE instead of Null and Not Null

Jack

Originally posted by Jaash
    Checkboxes would most likely be selected as TRUE/FALSE instead of Null and Not Null

Jack
    Does that count even though the field that I am trying to use the null value is text now and not checkboxes? If so, how would I type that in the criteria?

Earth | North America | United States | California | Long Beach
    Originally posted by dendalee
    Does that count even though the field that I am trying to use the null value is text now and not checkboxes? If so, how would I type that in the criteria?
    That depends on how you are concatenating the fields together.

It sounds like you are including spaces in your concatenation. This would make all of the resulting fields Not Null.

You should try to select your records prior to the concatenation. In the Cruiteria line in the query you should put TRUE (to select checked boxes) or FALSE (to select boxes that are not checked).

hth

Jack

I got it to work with:

<>""

It was not recognizing the null fields so I had it get rid of the ones that were empty. Period. Thanks alot for your help anyway! Greatly appreciated. I love this forum!! It really gets me thinking.

Dendalee