Unanswered: Installation of Oracle9iDB R-2 9.2.0.1.0 on Solaris 9 SUN SPARC m/c

Hi Folks,
    Wish you all A Very Happy & Prosperous New Year 2004. May God bless all of us to ful-fill our dreams...

Dear experts, i would like to know few things & would like to clarify few points.

We have Oracle9i DB 9.2.0.1.0 running on SUN Solaris 5.8 SPARC machine. It has been installed last year & since then it is running OK. Now, we plan to Migrate from SUN Solaris 8 to Sun Solaris 9 on the same H/W i.e. on SPARC machine. I have few points and request to help me:

1. Is there any known issue of oracle9i R-2 database 9.2.0.1.0 with Solaris 9.
    2. Do we need to apply some patches on Solaris 9 before we can install the oracle 9i software.

3. If we install solaris 9 & install the oracle 9i s/w, then is it possible to import entire database backup on newly installed oracle9i s/w. What i mean, is it mandatory to create DB again on newly installed oracle9i on solaris 9? The steps i plan to follow: a. taken entire database export b. re-install the solaris 9 on SUN, c. re-install the oracle9i s/w d. IMPORT the earlier exported database backup. Will it work...?? Will it be the same database on SUN Solaris 9.?

4. We are a bit new in these set-up, i request if step-by-step plan could be made available to me. It would be a great help for me to plan the upgradation activity. We are doing it in-house as we do hv any support available with us.

Request our community to help me in this regard. Thanks.
    - KR

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    I'm supporting about 4 dozen Oracle DBs;
    everything from V7.3.4.5 to V9.2.0.4 and many in between
    on Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 9 and a few in between.
    I have NEVER done exactly what you want to do.
    In theory your upgrade/migration is straight forward.
    1) Shutdown the DB
    2) Take a COLD backup of EVERY volume on the system
    3) Upgrade Solaris
    4) Relink Oracle s/w
    5) Startup DB

HTH & YMMV

Happy New Year!

Hi Sir,
    Thanks a lot for help & suggestion pls. I may like to clarify few things. Kindly help.

- What do u mean by cold backup of every volume on system...?
    - What is the meaning of relink oracle s/w

Please advise. Thanks a lot for ur quick help to me.

Regards,
    - KR

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think. :-(

> What do u mean by cold backup of every volume on system...?
    Such as using ufsdump at level ZERO.
    Do you even know what a disk volume is on Solaris?

> What is the meaning of relink oracle s/w
    Oracle 8.1.X or 9.X.X ------------------------
    *** NEW IN 8i AND ABOVE *** A 'relink' script is provided in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory.
    % cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
    % relink
    ...this will display all of the command's options. usage: relink <parameter> accepted values for parameter: all, oracle, network, client, client_sharedlib, interMedia, precomp, utilities, oemagent, ldap