Unanswered: Installation of Oracle9iDB R-2 184.108.40.206.0 on Solaris 9 SUN SPARC m/c
Wish you all A Very Happy & Prosperous New Year 2004. May God bless all of us to ful-fill our dreams...
Dear experts, i would like to know few things & would like to clarify few points.
We have Oracle9i DB 220.127.116.11.0 running on SUN Solaris 5.8 SPARC machine. It has been installed last year & since then it is running OK. Now, we plan to Migrate from SUN Solaris 8 to Sun Solaris 9 on the same H/W i.e. on SPARC machine. I have few points and request to help me:
1. Is there any known issue of oracle9i R-2 database 18.104.22.168.0 with Solaris 9.
2. Do we need to apply some patches on Solaris 9 before we can install the oracle 9i software.
3. If we install solaris 9 & install the oracle 9i s/w, then is it possible to import entire database backup on newly installed oracle9i s/w. What i mean, is it mandatory to create DB again on newly installed oracle9i on solaris 9? The steps i plan to follow: a. taken entire database export b. re-install the solaris 9 on SUN, c. re-install the oracle9i s/w d. IMPORT the earlier exported database backup. Will it work...?? Will it be the same database on SUN Solaris 9.?
4. We are a bit new in these set-up, i request if step-by-step plan could be made available to me. It would be a great help for me to plan the upgradation activity. We are doing it in-house as we do hv any support available with us.
Request our community to help me in this regard. Thanks.
I'm supporting about 4 dozen Oracle DBs;
everything from V22.214.171.124 to V126.96.36.199 and many in between
on Solaris 2.6 to Solaris 9 and a few in between.
I have NEVER done exactly what you want to do.
In theory your upgrade/migration is straight forward.
1) Shutdown the DB
2) Take a COLD backup of EVERY volume on the system
3) Upgrade Solaris
4) Relink Oracle s/w
5) Startup DB
You can lead a person to knowledge, but you can't make them think. :-(
> What do u mean by cold backup of every volume on system...?
Such as using ufsdump at level ZERO.
Do you even know what a disk volume is on Solaris?
> What is the meaning of relink oracle s/w
Oracle 8.1.X or 9.X.X ------------------------
*** NEW IN 8i AND ABOVE *** A 'relink' script is provided in the $ORACLE_HOME/bin directory.
% cd $ORACLE_HOME/bin
...this will display all of the command's options. usage: relink <parameter> accepted values for parameter: all, oracle, network, client, client_sharedlib, interMedia, precomp, utilities, oemagent, ldap