Red face Unanswered: Work group problem

When opening the database with a shortcut pointing to an mdw file made when securing the db, access only opens an mdw file called system2.mdw. Can't get my db open with the right mdw file.

This problem startet after I had 2 databases opened at same time to copy a form from an old db I made to the new one.

I tried to delete system2.mdw, but access makes a new one. And it seems to have the same permissions as the original made mdw file. Thought access opened the wrkgrp file pointed to in the shortcut......

Access uses the mdw assigned by the workgroup administer program ...

How can I get my shortcut to force access using the wrkgrp I want?

Originally posted by Gollum1975
    How can I get my shortcut to force access using the wrkgrp I want?
    You can't (that I know of) ... The mdw that is assigned thru the WorkGroup Administrator program is used FOR ANY ACCESS DB ACCESSED THRU THAT PC REGARDLESS OF THE PHYSICAL LOCATION of that database ...

Finally, something I can answer and feel as though my contribution is worthwhile. Shortcuts can indeed be used to point to different MDW files.

The target of the shortcut has three elements.
    1) the location of access.
    2) the path and name of the database.
    3) the path and name of the MDW file. (use the switch /wrkgrp)

For example
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft OfficeXP\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\_Databases\Studies\PFO\PFO.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\Deneb\Clinical\Databases\Studies\_System\system .mdw"
    This example points to my access, my database, and a shared system.mdw on the network.
    (NB: use double quotes for paths with spaces)

Typically starting up access points to the system.mdw established at the installation of Access. Using a shortcut you can override that.

Caution:
    People may have Access installed in different paths, so individual shortcuts may need to be adjusted.
    John
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.

I'm using the /wrkgrp to point to my workgroup, but access don't care and open the last joined workgroup anyway!

If a user have 2 databases with 2 different workgroups, how is it possible to open a db with the needed workgroup without joining it in access? (ex. with a short cut or another startup file)

I'm not sure I understand your latest question.
    Just to let you know, I often have multiple databases open, and can even refer to different system.mdw files. For exmaple, it is not uncommon when I'm working on a project for CompanyA that I need to open another database I built for CompanyB to access some code I want. In each case they have their own user accounts and groups stored in unique mdw files.

How do you open CompanyA.mdb using CompanyA.mdw and CompanyB.mdb using CompanyB.mdw?

Use shortcuts. The shortcut target has three elements. Again,
    1) the location of access.
    2) the path and name of the database.
    3) the path and name of the MDW file. (use the switch /wrkgrp)

This works for Access97, 2000, XP. It works for MDBs and MDEs.

Here is another example of a the shortcut target (all one line)
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft OfficeXP\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "\\Deneb\Clinical\Databases\Studies\Flow\Phase1\Fl ow.mde" /Wrkgrp "\\Deneb\Clinical\Databases\Studies\_System\clinic al.mdw"

Hmmm. After rereading your latest post, do you know how to create MDW files? Create accounts? etc?
    There are a couple of ways to do this. 1) MS access has a Wizard. 2) Or, you can just copy the system.mdw from somewhere in the c:\windows\system directory (look around).

Note:
    Every user defaults to the username 'Admin' with no password - that is why the signon screen will not appear. As soon as you change the password (from nothing to something) for Admin, then you will see the sign on screen.
    John

Yes, I know how to make mdw files, and I get the logon screen.

My problem is: I have a db MyApp1.mdb and MyApp1.mdw

I use a shortcut to open the db: "C:\....\...\MSAccess.exe" "d:\MyApp1.mdb" /wrkgrp "d:\MyApp1.mdw"

The db opens perfectly, but when running the workgroup admin in access it tells me that I'm in workgroup System2.mdw

Then I use the 'join wrkgrp' to join the MyApp1.mdw

But if I now close access and try to open MyApp2.mdb with MyApp2.mdw, open the workgroup admin, access now tells me that I'm in the MyApp1.mdw...... not MyApp2 as selected in the shortcut.

Hope u understand, and know what's wrong

Beware of the mdw (Meapons of Dass Wustruction)

When you use your shortcut, an instance of access is started pointing to your user accounts at MyApp1.mdw, and the application, MyApp1.mdb.

When you close the database, but not access, you are still logged into that same mdw file. You should be able to look at accounts, though no database is open.

When you goto Tools/ Security/ Workgroup Administrator, it shows the default location of the mdw file (e.g. C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\System\SYSTEM.MDW), but that does not mean you are signed into that mdw file. I confirmed this just now. I am using my own mdw file, and the workgroup Administrator displays the default workgroup. Additional confirmation of this is the fact that my username that I signed in to my database, and the name displayed on that dialogue do not match.

In fact, no matter what database, or what mdw file you use, I'm guessing that the Workgroup Administrator screen will always display your network name for the Name, and the default system.mdw file for the workgroup. Try it.
    Then ignore it.

As I mentioned before, there are a couple of ways to create that MDW file. Use the 'create' button on the Workgroup Administrator screen, or copy an existing MDW file and delete and add accounts as needed. Any follow up questions?

Have fun...
    John

Thumbs up

Thanks!!! I guess I'll just have to try it out. I just got a bit confused since the workgroup administrator displayed another wrkgrp than the one I used to log on with. I'm going to take a BACKUP, and play with the workgroups and see what hapens.