Thread: Autonumberama

Post Unanswered: Autonumbers

Got two questions about Access autonumbering behavior:

1. Is it true that under certain conditions the autonumbers can be re-used or renumbered by Access? Is this a reason to avoid using them for any sort of external numbering reference (such as an invoice number or account number)?

2. I found a particularly troubling issue when using subforms. If a user attempts to add a new entry in the subform before entering any data in the parent form and then moves off that parent record (before the parent table creates an autonumber) the child record gets lost forever.

Does anyone have a good way to prevent this?

Thanks in advance.

JoeG
    Last edited by JoeG; 01-04-04 at 17:33.

Autonumbering

I have a Ordering program that has a main form with a subform on it. On the main form I have OrderID and the subform primary key is OrderDetailsID. I find that if you keep it separate, but join them by those keys, it shouldn't matter what section you enter data in first.

Hi Jeremy,

I can work around it by forcing the user to enter data in the parent form first (for example, by disabling the child window until the autonumber id is no longer null).

I am also going to re-check my relationships and primary key settings.

If I can duplicate the problem, maybe I will post it here when I return from my trip.

Thanks again for the response.

JoeG

Have a Good Trip

Just let me know how it goes. Have a safe and good trip and will talk to you when you get back.

See ya.