Unanswered: how to do bulk generation of sequence

is it possible to generate bulk seuence numbers from a single sql query. Lets say there is a sequence name "test_seq". The curent value on that sequence is lets say 10, if i want to get the next 20 sequence in a sql query, how i will do that, i want to get those 20 values in the resultset through java.

Thanks

Re: how to do bulk generation of sequence

Hi,

documentation does not suggest there is a way to retrieve a couple of different NEXTVALs for YOURSEQENCE in a single query. But there are other options:

a) create a sequence with an INCREMENT BY 20 clause, and let the application do the filling of the gaps or
    b) retrieve 20 NEXTVALs through the application or
    c) create a table function making use of procedure language, retrieve 20 NEXTVALs in a loop

Would be interesting to know what you are going to settle with.

Johann
    Originally posted by vijpan
    is it possible to generate bulk seuence numbers from a single sql query. Lets say there is a sequence name "test_seq". The curent value on that sequence is lets say 10, if i want to get the next 20 sequence in a sql query, how i will do that, i want to get those 20 values in the resultset through java.

Thanks

Re: how to do bulk generation of sequence

d) Use a recursive SQL to retrieve 20 values

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by jsander
    Hi,

documentation does not suggest there is a way to retrieve a couple of different NEXTVALs for YOURSEQENCE in a single query. But there are other options:

a) create a sequence with an INCREMENT BY 20 clause, and let the application do the filling of the gaps or
    b) retrieve 20 NEXTVALs through the application or
    c) create a table function making use of procedure language, retrieve 20 NEXTVALs in a loop

Would be interesting to know what you are going to settle with.

Johann
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Here's a hack...

with nextvals(counter) as
    (
    values (1)
    union all
    select counter + 1
    from nextvals
    where counter < 20
    )
    select nextval for your_sequence
    from nextvals
    ;