Thread: messaging

Unanswered: messaging

Does Access have a message function?

Such as when a user starts access with his name he can see a message that was sent to him from another Access user.

Re: messaging

Originally posted by jacque427
    Does Access have a message function?

Such as when a user starts access with his name he can see a message that was sent to him from another Access user.
    Not ready-made/built-in as far as I know, but there is probably one or more available libraries that can be enabled to offer such functionality. You probably would have to provide the code to make use of it though. See the available libraries in your VBA (Alt+F11), Tools/References.
    It is a jungle though, some of the Gurus here should be able to point you to the relevant one(s).
    Which version of Access do you use? That affects what is available for you I guess.

In Access XP/2002, there is a Online collaboratin/Meet now menu option in the Tools menu. That one makes use of Netmeeting (which there is a library for, at least for NM 1.1 ), but I think you would have to have your own local NM directory/server to make use if that , especially if the messages/communication chould be kept internal.

Are you looking for a solution where messages is stored in Access, or just linking to a specific/related messaging store from within your Access application?

kedaniel

Looking

Using Access 2000 and looking for a messaging that is stored in Access. I believe a simple solution would be a form that all can read and add to as necessary.

Re: Looking

Originally posted by jacque427
    Using Access 2000 and looking for a messaging that is stored in Access. I believe a simple solution would be a form that all can read and add to as necessary.
    ok, then you would perhaps want to have two additional fields in the table, User and Time, and use the following as default values for new records:
    CurrentUser()
    - returning the name of the access user if you are using logins to access (I am just about to find out how to get the Windows user name instead, for one of my own apps, incl. the Computer name if possible..)
    and
    Now()
    - the latter returns full date and time.

kedaniel

Provided Answers: 1
    I think that is kind of a neat idea.

The easiest way I could think of would be to create a table with a userid, sentfrom, title, message, datetime, new (bit, yes/no)

Then you could run a query ,SELECT * FROM tblMessages WHERE new = TRUE and display maybe a listbox with titles and a subform for the contents.

I may do this one myself... just for the hell of it heh.

Messag

If you do end up doing it let me know of if even possible post it. (I'll do the same)

It'll be interesting to see what we come up with.

jacque

would it be possible in Access to have the app automatically update the New from Yes to No - just when the contents of a posting is displayed in the subform?

this would work as the opposite of most forms/subforms then, a list on top with a single form below displaying thie results.

however, you would normally like to reply to a topic... that adds a bit to the work, if important. Not true threading, which will be too much to ask for in Access perhaps, but a second-level subform, perhaps? A simple one-to-many relationship, all sith the toplevel postings, just two levels alltogether, all replies goes to the main entry.

hm. and the updating of the New value needs to be user-level, ie. per user. Needs a third table and a function to update which user has read which main entry.

If introducing a reply function, the above needs to be extended to handle replies and for example reset the New value for the main entry for all users whenever a reply is posted.

On another form, there should be a new cound with a goto-button opening the messages form.

I would be interested to see this solution myself, please post a db.zip here.

Originally posted by kedaniel
    On another form, there should be a new cound with a goto-button opening the messages form.
    - eh, new counT...