Thread: unique records

Unanswered: unique records

I have a query (that comes from 2 tables where several of the fields are identical) where it creates multiple duplicate records when the query runs. The unique record property is set to yes. Aargh!

Can you explain

Can you try and explain a little more as to what you are trying to accomplish?

I am trying to write a municipal tax collection program. I have a table for school taxes and a second table for municipal taxes. The property info in both tables is identical, and the tax info is different, although not all records may be in both tables. I am writng a query for a report that shows what taxes have not been paid, based on whether the "date paid" field is or is not null. When I run the query, some records show up 5 or 6 times, which is not a good thing.

you will have to show us your query

i suspect you are doing a join, which might have a "cross join" effect, as multiple rows from each table are matched on all combinations of date paid

you may want to do a union instead
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Lightbulb

Unique records, or unique values? Yes, there is a difference between the two, and it is the very difference that you seek!
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com