Red face Unanswered: Problems in fetch/read a record

Hi,
    I am having a typical problem. I am trying to fetch/read a record from one of the oracle instances. sqlplus retuns no record found. But when the export the database and import the dump to different SID and i could get the record. This happens consistently. Any clue on this ? What exactly i need to look for ? I am new to database stuff. So, please bear with me.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Problems in fetch/read a record

- are you using the same queries in both the instances?
    - are you using same user (or user with same privileges) in both the databases.
    - are you querying in table of same schema in both instances?

pls do provide the following details:
    -user id used to log on in instance1 & instance2
    -query executed in instance1 & instance2

Originally posted by vmadhav
    Hi,
    I am having a typical problem. I am trying to fetch/read a record from one of the oracle instances. sqlplus retuns no record found. But when the export the database and import the dump to different SID and i could get the record. This happens consistently. Any clue on this ? What exactly i need to look for ? I am new to database stuff. So, please bear with me.

Thanks in advance.
    Oracle can do wonders !

It has happened to me with databases created with different character sets and NLS settings. You can check that if you connect to the database from the machine hosting the DB. If you can not select it from there too, then I have no more ideas....

down on the cube farm, left then right then another left
    Please provide the sql you are running. Since by your own admission you are "new to database stuff" it is possible your query is malformed. We want to be helpful. You need to give use something to work with.

Re: Problems in fetch/read a record

Originally posted by vmadhav
    Hi,

Thanks in advance.
    Are you sure that there record has been successfully imported into the other SID/schema.

do a select count(*) from the table to ensure that you have data in the table.

If you do then your sql statement is more than likely malformed.