Unanswered: keeping integrity

Hi,

I have two tables that both contain integer fields that are to be used as unique identifiers. These tables, and fields, will only ever be updated manually. The issue I have is that a value assigned to one of these fields in one table cannot be assigned to the same field in the other. Thus, if 24 is assigned to this field in table A it cannot then be assigned to the same field in table B. Is there anyway to enforce this rule in DB2, without having to create additional lookup tables etc?

Thanks for any help

Richard

Re: keeping integrity

A SEQUENCE Object

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...2fielding.html

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerwork...05pilaka2.html

Cheers
    Sathyaram

Originally posted by Rdean
    Hi,

I have two tables that both contain integer fields that are to be used as unique identifiers. These tables, and fields, will only ever be updated manually. The issue I have is that a value assigned to one of these fields in one table cannot be assigned to the same field in the other. Thus, if 24 is assigned to this field in table A it cannot then be assigned to the same field in table B. Is there anyway to enforce this rule in DB2, without having to create additional lookup tables etc?

Thanks for any help

Richard
    Last edited by sathyaram_s; 01-05-04 at 09:55.
    Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Or maybe an identity column. Start one at 1, the other at 2 and increment both by 2 (so one table has even number id column and the other, odd).

Thanks for the suggestions guys, but I think I am going to go with option C.... a subtle bit of database redesign

Thanks again!!