Unanswered: Security question

I have a database located on a server. Multiple users from several differenet computers will be accessing it. I set up a security workgroup and stored the workgroup file on the server, but every computer I go to bypasses that file and creates a new workgroup file in the access folder, and every login I use for windows does the same. Also I noticed that if I delete the workgroup file, there is no longer any security for my database. Is there a better way of doing this, or do I have to go onto every single computer and account that will be using this and join this workgroup?

Thanks,
    Mike

Re: Security question

Originally posted by Majestic12
    I have a database located on a server. Multiple users from several differenet computers will be accessing it. I set up a security workgroup and stored the workgroup file on the server, but every computer I go to bypasses that file and creates a new workgroup file in the access folder, and every login I use for windows does the same. Also I noticed that if I delete the workgroup file, there is no longer any security for my database. Is there a better way of doing this, or do I have to go onto every single computer and account that will be using this and join this workgroup?

Thanks,
    Mike
    "or do I have to go onto every single computer and account that will be using this and join this workgroup?"

You got it.

Gregg

basicmek is right, you have to add an account for each user. However, you can do that from your own work station. Make one workgroup (an mdw file) and place that on the network. Then add accounts for all users. Tools/Security/User Group and Accounts

Then a shortcut must be used for each user so that they open your MDW file, instead of the defualt mdw file.

The target of the shortcut has three elements.
    1) the path & access.exe
    2) the path and name of the database.
    3) the path and name of the MDW file. (use the switch /wrkgrp)

For example
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft OfficeXP\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "C:\_Databases\Studies\PFO\PFO.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\Deneb\Clinical\Databases\Studies\_System\system .mdw"
    This example points to my access, my database, and a shared system.mdw on the network.
    (NB: use double quotes for paths with spaces)

Typically starting up access points to the system.mdw established at the installation of Access. Using a shortcut you can override that.

Caution:
    People may have Access installed in different paths, so individual shortcuts may need to be adjusted.
    John
    This is the day the Lord has made, I will rejoice and be glad in it.