Unhappy Unanswered: Downgrade from 2000 to 97???

Is is possible for me to convert an Access 2000 database to Access 97? I keep getting an Invalid Data Type error when I try and conversion does not take place, a new database is not created.

HELP would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Downgrade from 2000 to 97???

Originally posted by MLS
    Is is possible for me to convert an Access 2000 database to Access 97? I keep getting an Invalid Data Type error when I try and conversion does not take place, a new database is not created.

maybe try to export all your tables ,... to an '97 database?
    ... man man man ...

Marketing error.
    "I'm sorry, but the operation you have attempted will not cause more Microsoft licenses to be sold. Therefore we cannot allow it. You must instead purchase 2000-version licenses for all the rest of your machines. Oops, but we don't sell that version now either, so make it 2002. Since you didn't upgrade on-time when we told you to, you'll find that you are not eligible for an upgrade unless you schmooze your Microsoft rep on the local golf course, and let him win. Please budget now to purchase 2004 in about six weeks, and do make sure you buy this copy on-time. Thank you for using Microsoft."
    Microsoft makes it extremely difficult to retrograde their applications. You may be able to create a database in MS-97, attach it, and export to it. But the path is frought with problems most of which appear to me to make no technical sense. Every two years you are supposed to "upgrade" your Windows version and all of the Office products on all of your computers. Mixed combos don't work properly unless you are very careful in installing them, and reverting is nearly unthinkable.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

Re: Downgrade from 2000 to 97???

Originally posted by MLS

What is in this database to convert? You might have good luck with converting the tables but as for forms and reports not as much because of library and control differences ... and as sundialsvcs pointed out: Why would you want to revert back to an older version after moving to the new version?

Thumbs up Thanks for the advice everyone!

Actually, the original client uses Access 2000. It turns out that another, smaller, company wants to use it as well and does not want to upgrade at this time...

Thus, my reason for inquiring about the move backwards. I thought there might be a simple fix. Don't know what I was thinking, it is Microsoft after all!?

Thanks the speedy replies everyone!

Re: Thanks for the advice everyone!

Originally posted by MLS
    Actually, the original client uses Access 2000. It turns out that another, smaller, company wants to use it as well and does not want to upgrade at this time...

Thus, my reason for inquiring about the move backwards. I thought there might be a simple fix. Don't know what I was thinking, it is Microsoft after all!?

Thanks the speedy replies everyone!
    Now that's another kettle of fish ... What you can do is create the 97 DB and create the forms with the same controls. Then copy and paste the underlying code (if any) and work from there ... Do the same for the reports ... IF there is no 2000 specific code or controls then you might be able to import them and then recompile ...

Angry

Well thanks for the help M Owen! That's exactly what I'm in the process of doing ... All the tables, except one, exported to 97. Now I'm in the process of re-creating the forms, Macros, Queries, and VB Code. Not a biggie though, the database isn't to huge and copy/paste works great!!

Will not be falling into this one again that's forsure!!!