Unanswered: rollforward question with online backups

We use online full backups. Is it possible if we are using online backups to avoid the roll forward processing of logs during a restore from an online backup?

I don't believe so. But I have heard that there may be enhancements made in the future that makes DB2 restores smarter and limits the amount of log use if no updates took place during the backup. But at the moment, some amount of log access and roll forward is necessary to apply updates that happened (or may have happened) while the on-line backup took place.
    M. A. Feldman
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for Linux, UNIX, and Windows
    IBM Certified DBA on DB2 for z/OS and OS/390

I think the answer I got from them is you have to rollforward to the minimum point in time for the database. They talked about a new release at the Tech Conf with lots of enhancements but I did not hear anything of this nature. In fact I did ask whether functuonality would be added to quiesce the database as can be done on db2 for z/os and I do not think there was a positive response.

The enhancement I mentioned above was discussed by an IBM employee on comp.databases.ibm-db2. The change is strictly internal in nature, there will be no changes in DBA procedure. But DB2 may take less time to roll through the logs if no changes occurred during the online backup. I would not expect most people to even notice this, especially if one rolls forward to the end of the logs. IIRC, they said it was a version 8 fixpak change, not in a future version release.
    M. A. Feldman

Can you point us to this post on comp.databases?

But I still think it means that the database must be rollforwarded - it will just skip LSNs which indicate no updates or rollbacks. What do you think?

What does IIRC stand for?

As I said in my original post, the enhancement "limits the amount of log use" and does not eliminate it, and only in situations where no changes to the data took place during the on-line reorg.

IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.
    M. A. Feldman