Thread: Practice Works

Smile Practice Works

Hello everyone,

I am a database manager and very new in this field. I am currently managing Goldmine database over a WAN and Sql databases.

A dentist (He is very disappointed with practice works service) has asked me (for hire of course) to add a new computer in his office. The computer needs to have practice works connected to the existing server they have.

I checked the Practice WOrks website and it seems to me..they dont offer any help.

1. How difficult is it to setup a new computer?

2. Since the current server is running in Windows 98, I want to change the server on a more powerful machine that runs on WIN 2000 server.

My next question. HOw difficult is it transfer the database to the new machine and what do I have to watch for?

Thanks

transfer a database.

You need to do full backup of the database and then restore it on the server running Win2000.

Re: transfer a database.

Thanks for Your reply.

When I install a fresh copy of Practice works there is directory for data where the database resides.

Please correct me if im wrong.

In the new machine 2K server.

1. First install practice works.

2. 2nd. Restore the database from the old machine to the 2K server that has the newly installed practice works.

Does this mean replacing the data of the newly installed Pracice Works?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by gyuan
    You need to do full backup of the database and then restore it on the server running Win2000.

a database transfer

I never tried the Practice Works service, but I did a database transfer from one server to another. It worked that way.

Re: a database transfer

Hey thanks alot

That was a big help.....I'll try and see what happens..I will post the results someday..

Originally posted by gyuan
    I never tried the Practice Works service, but I did a database transfer from one server to another. It worked that way.