Thread: Practice WOrks

Unanswered: Practice WOrks

Hello everyone,

I am a database manager and very new in this field. I am currently managing Goldmine database over a WAN and Sql databases.

A dentist (He is very disappointed with practice works service) has asked me (for hire of course) to add a new computer in his office. The computer needs to have practice works connected to the existing server they have.

Practice WOrks runs on Pervasive Sql.

I checked the Practice WOrks website and it seems to me..they dont offer any help.

1. How difficult is it to setup a new computer?

2. Since the current server is running in Windows 98, I want to change the server on a more powerful machine that runs on WIN 2000 server.

My next question. HOw difficult is it transfer the database to the new machine and what do I have to watch for?

Thanks

Re: Practice WOrks

Strange you should mention you know a dentist who is not overly impressed with their services. I know about 15 so far.

If you wish you can get your contact to reply to this if he is interested in getting the next generation of dental practice software which we are currently developing.

Talking Practice Works

I just sent my proposal on how we go about fixing his current network infrastructure. I mentioned to him that if I dont get any help from Practice Works on how to migrate the data from another server, Im not goint to touch it.

So far, Im not satisfied to any of those guys at Prctice WOrks after talking to them. They think im stupid of something for not getting their guys to do it. Their software is very good but they stink.

If you are developing a dental practice sofware please let me know if I can help you promote or even provide you with my services by setting it up or installation. Right now we sell Goldmine, Business Works and other stuff. I need extra income *wink* I wish you the best..I hope its better than Practice Works.

Re: Practice Works

I believe there is an opportunity for us all to make a lot of extra cash on this one. If you want to talk about this please feel free to call me on 020 72843121

Re: Practice WOrks

Originally posted by Anchovies
    Hello everyone,

I am a database manager and very new in this field. I am currently managing Goldmine database over a WAN and Sql databases.

A dentist (He is very disappointed with practice works service) has asked me (for hire of course) to add a new computer in his office. The computer needs to have practice works connected to the existing server they have.

Practice WOrks runs on Pervasive Sql.

I checked the Practice WOrks website and it seems to me..they dont offer any help.

1. How difficult is it to setup a new computer?

2. Since the current server is running in Windows 98, I want to change the server on a more powerful machine that runs on WIN 2000 server.

My next question. HOw difficult is it transfer the database to the new machine and what do I have to watch for?

Thanks
    It deponds on how Practice Works talks to Pervasive. If you look at your DSN list, do you see one set up for Pervasive? If you open the Pervasive Control Center what do you see? If it uses a DSN, you should be able to install the pervasive client software on the client machine, create a "client" odbc dsn pointing to the server with the same name and should be all set.

2. Install pervasive on the new box. Stop the two Pervasive services on the old box. Copy the entire database folder (including db files and ddf's) to the new box. In PCC, create a new database pointing to this new directoy with the same name used in the old box. Start your Practice Works software.

FYI, I've never used Practice Works so these are just suggestions. I'm also assuming Pervasive 2000i.

Data Migration

Dilyias,

Thanks for the suggestion, Im going to try it.

Cozierd,

Thanks, I will be calling you soon.