Unhappy Unanswered: Stored Procedure

I want to have a stored procedure execute a query that returns multiple rows then I want the stored procedure to take the result set of that query and use it as the parameter for another stored procedure. The parameter can be just text, I do not necessarily need row separation. It will be the body of an email message. I hope this makes sense.

Example:
    CREATE PROCEDURE check_review AS

Declare @recs4rev varchar (500)
    SET @recs4rev = (select ID from Some_TableDesign where revdate < getdate() )

EXEC stored_proc_4_email @From="name@email.com", @To="name2@email.com", @subject="The subject", @Body=@recs4rev
    Go

I already know this doesn't work and I sort of played with cursors, but felt like I was not going in the right direction. I hope this makes sense, any help you can offer would be most appreciated. Thanks.

try this

CREATE PROCEDURE check_review AS

DECLARE @recs4rev varchar (500)
    DECLARE @ID_temp int -- if ID column is set to int
    DECLARE ID_Cursor CURSOR
    FOR
    SELECT ID FROM Some_TableDesign WHERE revdate < getdate()
    OPEN ID_Cursor
    FETCH NEXT FROM ID_Cursor INTO @ID_temp
    WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
    BEGIN
    SET @recs4rev = @recs4rev + @ID_temp + ', '

END

CLOSE ID_Cursor
    DEALLOCATE ID_Cursor

EXEC stored_proc_4_email @From="name@email.com", @To="name2@email.com", @subject="The subject", @Body=@recs4rev
    Go

I will try that, I see that I did not use the fetch status in my earlier attempts! Thanks!!!!

It appears that the SET command is not functioning. The query is running, I can print the results of the cursors @ID_TEMP variable, but it will not set the @recs4rev variable. The Print @recs4rev + "RECS4REV" is blank. The @@FetchStatus is 0

Here is what I have so far:
    CREATE PROCEDURE sp_check_review AS

DECLARE @recs4rev varchar (500)
    DECLARE @ID_temp varchar(50)
    DECLARE ID_Cursor CURSOR

FOR
    SELECT ID FROM Some_TableDesign WHERE revdate < getdate() -30
    OPEN ID_Cursor
    WHILE @@FETCH_STATUS = 0
    BEGIN
    SET @recs4rev = @recs4rev + @ID_temp + ", "
    PRINT @ID_temp + "IDTEMP"
    Print @recs4rev + "RECS4REV"
    PRINT @@FETCH_STATUS

END
    CLOSE ID_Cursor
    DEALLOCATE ID_Cursor

EXEC sp_send_cdosysmail @From="moron@email.com", @To="moron@email.com", @subject="The subject", @Body=@recs4rev
    GO

Sample results:

3754IDTEMP

3782IDTEMP

3783IDTEMP

Notice the big blank in between IDTEMP and the 0. There is no recs4rev! HELP!!!

data type of ID

What is the data type of the column ID? If it is int, you need to use "DECLARE @ID_temp int" instead of "DECLARE @ID_temp varchar(50)".

It is an integer. My bad. However, the problem still sort of persists. I received a message (this is why I switched it to varchar w/o thinking. I assumed ID was varchar, duh!) like this:

Server: Msg 245, Level 16, State 1, Procedure sp_check_review, Line 13
    Syntax error converting the varchar value ', ' to a column of data type int.

So I tried using the convert funtion on the query itself:
    SELECT CONVERT(char(50), ID) FROM Some_TableDesign WHERE reviewdate < getdate() -30
    That gave me this result:
    3754IDTEMP

3782IDTEMP

3783IDTEMP

Which is the same thing as before. I have also tried retrieving from a varchar column and the result is the same (not doing the convert mumbo jumbo and setting the select statement to do a regular varchar column). It still seems like the variable is not receiving the information.
    Ideas?
    And by the way: THANK YOU!

More information - It is definitely when the statement below is executed:

SET @recs4rev = @recs4rev + @id_temp +","

If I remove the @recs4rev it works, The variable gets set and the information is sent. But it only sends me the last record in the cursor (obviously). So how do I get it to add on? I need that variable to build the string with all the ID numbers.

Thoughts?

Try this

SET @recs4rev = @recs4rev + CAST(@ID_temp AS varchar) +", "

or

SET @recs4rev = @recs4rev + CONVERT (varchar(50), @ID_temp) +", "

and keep @ID_temp as int data type

Smile

OK, I think I got it.
    I had to set the recs4rev variable to an empty string before the while loop. Then it worked. I know that variables upon declaration are null until set. So perhaps this was throwing it of...see Null + @id_temp +"," was proably just null to the server. Dunno, but set @recs4rev =" " just below the open cursor command seems to have done the trick,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!

Originally posted by Jdemon
    OK, I think I got it.
    I had to set the recs4rev variable to an empty string before the while loop. Then it worked. I know that variables upon declaration are null until set. So perhaps this was throwing it of...see Null + @id_temp +"," was proably just null to the server. Dunno, but set @recs4rev =" " just below the open cursor command seems to have done the trick,
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP!!!!
    You are right. I forgot to initiliaze the variable @recs4rev. Cheers.