Unanswered: TNS listener service timeout

Hi,

I have Oracle 9.2.0.1 running on my machine (Win XP). All services were running fine until one day, when I was checking Event Viewer and discovered these Service Control failures :

This message :
    Timeout (30000 milliseconds) waiting for the OracleOraHome92TNSListener service to connect.

followed by :
    The OracleOraHome92TNSListener service failed to start due to the following error:
    The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

So after I get this, I start the TSN listener service up manually via Services, it starts up normally with no error messages.

What could be causing this problem ?

Thumbs up

Hi,

If the service being used to start the application does not start within a specific amount of time the service will time out. We cannot tell from this error what prevented the service from starting correctly. If this was an isolated incident, there is probably not a reason for concern. If this is a reoccuring problem, you may want to try dropping and recreating the OracleService
    SATHISH .

Well, it's happening everytime I boot up as I set the service to start automatically.

How do I drop and recreate the Oracle service ?

Try adding the following parameter to your LISTENER.ORA file:

Code:
    STARTUP_WAIT_TIME_listener=5
    This pauses the startup process for 5 seconds... it could be some resources needed for the LSNRCTL process are not available when it is trying to startup.

Good luck.

JoeB

Ah, this works ! Thanks, JoeB !