Thread: design problems

Question Unanswered: design problems

i am running up against an ability wall and i could desperately use some advice.

i am building a cf app using an access database. this is for an off-line daily menu generator for a nutritionist friend who wants to create menus for his family (good project i figured for me to do as my first real-world app).

so i have the basic tables in the database: person, foodItems, meals. i also have the cf files adding/deleting/modifying from these. now i want the ability to create menus based on person-->day of week-->meal-->food item-->quantity of food item (for calculation of calories, etc that are stored in the foodItems table).

at this point, i am lost. i don't know what new tables i need to create if any...say i have 10 clients over 7 days using up to 6 meals (includes snacks--but meals are optional).

i don't need help with the cf...i have that down. i just don't have a clue how to handle in a simple manner. i know this sounds like a lot to ask for, but i am pretty resourceful...if you have any examples like this, urls for complex db design tutorials or any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance.

jake

POst a Copy of your current ERD diagram or if you can, just post you DB with a little sample data

S-

thanks for replying.

there are some testing tables in the file, but the main tables have test data. you might be able to see where i was going with this. the "client menu master table" was my freinds try at what he wants this thing to do...i have a feeling it's not the best way to do this...i believe there is a more simplified (in database terms, not in logic necessarily) solution.

ANY advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated. thanks again for your time helping this beginner out.

take care.

jake
    Attached Files Attached Files