Unanswered: Query closes Access with no error message

I have created a number of complex queries, all of which work fine. Recently I have created a new query which is based on calculations in three other queries. Unexpectedly, after adding a number of columns to the query (more than 20) if I click Save or Design View while in this query, Access shuts down instantaneously without warning or error message!!!

I have tried several things such as different computers, recreating the query, etc. and every time (four different attempts) the same thing happens. In some instances both the query itself and a query built on top of the query in question have both become corrupted.

The query is only slightly different then others in the database that work fine, the primary difference being the number of columns is greater.

If anyone has any suggestions for things to look for or has had similar experiences, any info would be greatly appreciated.

Perhaps there is a maximum column number or maximum number of queries that can be built on top of each other?

there's a maximum column count of 255 in a query however access _should_ not crash when hitting this limit. your sql probably triggers a buffer overflow in the parser and/or optimizer (at least it wouldn't surprise me). have you other _versions_ of access to try? were your test machines all set up similiar? are all service patches and hotfixes installed for windows/office/jet?

Thanks for the help. No, no other versions of access to try. I'll check with our IT dept and see if all patches have been installed. Anything specific to look for?

Could you elaborate on what exceeding the buffer capacity means?

Thanks very much for your help.

i'd check for office and jet patches first but the error could be virtually anywhere, maybe dcom, internet explorer... it is also possible to be not patched at all.

buffer overflows are a very common programming error when writing with c or c++. a lot of programs suffer from them. they occour when a predefined block of memory (buffer), lets say 255 characters, is filled with unknown data and no or incorrect checks are performed to ensure the data fits the buffer. if the data is too large, lets say 300 characters, it is written behond the area allocated for your buffer and overwrites other data behind it. As data is changed in an unexpected way the program is likely to crash or perform otherwise incorrectly. With specially crafted input data this can even be exploited to gain unothorized access to systems. This is the area you may have heard about buffer overflows before. buffer overflows are the things that made code red or blaster possible. of course not only microsoft products are affected. other prominent victims include the apache webserver or cisco firewalls (and countless others)

Exact Same Problem

I am having the exact same problem and I wondered if you had any luck fixing it.

Thanks, Diane Utter
    City of Olympia, Washington

Smile

Found a Knowledge Base article called

"Access Quits Unexpectedly When You Run a Query"

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;319491

Their solution:

On the Tools menu, click Options.
    In the Options dialog box, click the General tab.
    Under Name AutoCorrect, click to clear the following check boxes:
    Track name AutoCorrect into
    Perform name AutoCorrect
    Log name AutoCorrect changes
    Click OK.

It fixed my problem.

Same problem different circumstances

I am currently working on a WinXP Pro machine with Access 2002 and have a similar problem. Access will quit unexpectantly on me, even if I am not doing anything. I have been sitting there looking at the main database window, hands off the keyboard and mouse and Access will all of a sudden end w/out warning. I checked the setting specified in the article from a previous posting and mine were not checked. Has anyone else seen this? Asearch on support.microsoft.com didn't turn anything else up.
    Thanks