Unanswered: Ingres 6.4 client -> newer db

I have an old system with "non-portable" software on Nonstop UX and wish to migrate the database onto another machine.

Is it possible to let the software communicate with a newer version of Ingres (or basically anything on a newer OS) with use of the ingres client which is "hard coded" into the software.

I am new to Ingres, so I have no proper clue on _how_ to do this, but my first question is whether it is possible.

I believe there is no floating point fields in the database, only INT and TEXT/CHAR...

//tb

the ingres clent that runs on a pc is usually made up of 2 main processes iigcn (name server) and iigcc (comms server). This should be upgradable to any later version of the client.

Access to the dbs is normally controlled via vnode definitions, which are independant of app software, which means upgrades to the ingres client aren't usually a big deal.

I know that later clients (II 2.5 for example) will talk to earlier releases (II 2.0 databases) - not sure about the other way though.
    Regards
    Dbabren

Ok, thanks for the info

However, I do not think the client is available in newer versions for this particular platform/OS.
    Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's a Tandem with NonStop-UX 4.0
    (B32IPM50 CM-1475 MIPS/R4400)
    Obviously not a PC.

Because of the poor performance of the machine, I wish to place the actual database on another machine (pc-linux/sun-solaris/etc.) but still need backwards compatibility for the old client to access it.

Regards

Tomas

Sorry Tomas - not familar with the OS - I hadn't realised that you db and client s/ware were on the same m/c. I assumed that you had a seperate client m/c.

If you can create/update the vnode in the ingres client then you should be able to point that at another m/c (OS independant). How you do that on this OS - don't know I'm afraid. You could try www.ca.com, if you haven't already.
    Regards
    Dbabren

Sounds like you want to move the database to a newer box and version, as long as you don't use any new features I am pretty sure I have in the past connected through Ingres net to a database on a newer version of Ingres in the past. We migrated data this way a lot.

Read the sections on netu and Ingres net in the manuals. They should give you a starting point.

Rob

Nice. Thanks. I will update my post with the progress when I'm done

Talking Forgot...

I was looking for other info on the net when I found my somewhat ancient post.

The data in the database was very simple and the old client could communicate with a newer Ingres-server on a Linux server. Worked perfectly. Wonderful results. :-)

//tb

Ingres in now open source and free

Have a look at INGRES.com.

Data and app migration are easy.

Ingres 6.4 on UX (unix clone) is also easy to manage.

End

Thank you, I am fully aware of this, currently using a newer version over INGRES NET for php/web access to my data.