Unhappy Unanswered: Rebuild Master Error

I am performing a Rebiuld of the Master database using the REBUILDM utility on a SQL 2000 SP3 database which is clustered.
    The utility starts off correclty, copying the correct MDF and LDF files to the hard drive, and the configuration bar goes across the screen 4 times, before giving the following error "Rebuild master failed with error -1".

I can't find anything on microsoft. I followed KB-298568 to perform this process, but the SQL Service will now not start as it cannot find the master, as it did not get rebuilt properly.

I have included screen shots of the error, in the zipped up word doc.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Re: Rebuild Master Error

It seems to be strange that it does it 4 times. Did you check whether the .mdf and .ldf were in the right directory?

Originally posted by joejcheng
    It seems to be strange that it does it 4 times. Did you check whether the .mdf and .ldf were in the right directory?
    Yes, they appear in the correct directory, and are the correct size.

When you run any sql utility or upgrade, a log file will be generated. In there, you can find detailed information regarding the error that you encountered. Check the directory \program files\microsoft sql server\mssql\install\.

Also, try to copy the source to a local drive and run it from there rather than from a UNC location.

Files copied locally

I copied the files locally, and still got error -1

Originally posted by joejcheng
    When you run any sql utility or upgrade, a log file will be generated. In there, you can find detailed information regarding the error that you encountered. Check the directory \program files\microsoft sql server\mssql\install\.
    There are not log files in this folder - only *.txt files that correspond to the *.gif files used for the Northwing and Pubs databases.

Talking Problem solved

I did some more investigation and found the cause of the problem.

When I initially installed SQL Server, I then used KB224071 to move the log files for the system databases to another drive, specifically for log files.

The location of the Master database files are written to the registry under HKLM\Software\Microsoft\MSSQLServer\MSSQLServer\Pa rameters.

When Rebuildm runs it places all the files in the initial install location, and then tries to start the MSSQL Service, and fails as the path the the master database in the registry no longer matches the location of the log files where Rebuildm placed them - Hence error -1.

I manually moved the log file flat files to the correct drive, started the MSSQL Service and it all started up OK.

Well, it would have been nice to know that you did move log files of systems databases to a different location Looks like we did all this brain-storming for nothing.

Wink Data and Log

Hi you fellow database teasers,

I think he did that in order to seperate data and log --- Performance.

But as I think it is not recommended to separate them for system databases.