Unhappy Unanswered: Record chages to field in seperate lookup table

Hello all,

I have a database that is used to track research proposals. One particular fiels in the tblProtocols is named CPHS. This field represents a unique study identifier which WILL change periodically. My quest is to be able to search for a protocol by either the current CPHS# or a past CPHS#. Thus my thought is to have a seperate table tblCPHSXwalk which will be updated with the Protocols!protocolID value and the new Protocols!CPHS value.

tblProtocols
    protocolID 'primary key
    cphs
    title

tblCPHSXwalk
    protocolID ' both fields set as compund foreign key
    cphs

If any one have any clue as to how I can achieve this goal I would appreciate the help!

Thanks,

MrResearch

Re: Record chages to field in seperate lookup table

Originally posted by MrResearch
    Hello all,

I have a database that is used to track research proposals. One particular fiels in the tblProtocols is named CPHS. This field represents a unique study identifier which WILL change periodically. My quest is to be able to search for a protocol by either the current CPHS# or a past CPHS#. Thus my thought is to have a seperate table tblCPHSXwalk which will be updated with the Protocols!protocolID value and the new Protocols!CPHS value.

tblProtocols
    protocolID 'primary key
    cphs
    title

tblCPHSXwalk
    protocolID ' both fields set as compund foreign key
    cphs

If any one have any clue as to how I can achieve this goal I would appreciate the help!

Thanks,

MrResearch
    Sounds to mean that you did what you're asking about ... table-wise that is ...

Question: Can your cphs belong to different ProtocolID's?

Sounds like you need to create a new table for storing the protocols and the cphs but in this one don't assign the protocol as a primary key. This would give you a many to one relationship between your original table and your new table, thus enabling you to query current and past cphs's. It might help also to include a timestamp on your new table.

All you need to do now is create a form for input of the cphs's and make sure that both the original and new tables are updated when you hit that save button.

Regards - Andy

Originally posted by M Owen
    Sounds to mean that you did what you're asking about ... table-wise that is ...

Question: Can your cphs belong to different ProtocolID's?
    The relation between the cphs and ProtocolID is 1-1. My lapse in brain function come in how do I update the Crosswalk table when the CPHS number is changed?

This is probably not too difficult, however I am a bit new to VB and could use a little nudge in the right direction.

Thanks for the help.

-MrResearch

Originally posted by MrResearch
    The relation between the cphs and ProtocolID is 1-1. My lapse in brain function come in how do I update the Crosswalk table when the CPHS number is changed?

This is probably not too difficult, however I am a bit new to VB and could use a little nudge in the right direction.

Thanks for the help.

-MrResearch
    Simple. Save off the original cphs. In the form that has the cphs edit control have a flag for if it changes ... You can set this flag in the After_Update event ... When you go to update the existing protocol if the cphs has changed write a new "previous cphs" record with the original ...