Unanswered: Prevent design Changes

Is there a simple way of allowing a database to be opened which prevents users from accessing the database window or making design changes??

Thanks

Parma

Figured it out.

Simply go to the startup option on Tools and uncheck the Allow Full Menu option.

This way users can't make any design changes and can only input or read data.

Re: Prevent design Changes

Create an .MDE file which will prevent users from making any changes.

Provided Answers: 1
    Look up StartupShowDBWindow

Originally posted by hammbakka
    Look up StartupShowDBWindow
    why send them the .MDB file at all?

Originally posted by milestone
    why send them the .MDB file at all?
    If he uses the StartupShowDBWindow
    the user will not be able to see the DB-Window aslo he could disable pressing F11

I suppose.....

If the user presses shift while the database is loading or presses F11 after it has loaded they can get to the database window, go to Tools > Security > User and group accounts and set up a group. Then go to Tools > Security > User and group premissions and set that group to where they can't modify the design (Uncheck the check box), this way they can still update the database they just can't change the design. You can specify this for a group of table/queries/etc..... or just what ever you need. Then give them the group you created's usersname and password.

One more thing, you need to remove the option for the "users" group to be able to administer or modify the design for this to work as what ever group you create will automatically have the "users" group in it. This will remove design view from thier options.

Re: Prevent design Changes

Originally posted by milestone
    Create an .MDE file which will prevent users from making any changes.
    This the only true sure fire way to prevent changes. I could get around the AllowFullMenu block pretty easily.

a .mde file only does the following two things it does NOT keep users from changing queries or tables.

1)All VBA procedures are compiled — converted from human-readable code (more or less readable, anyway) to a format that only the computer understands. This change prevents a database user from reading or changing your VBA code.

2) No one can create forms or reports or modify the existing ones (you can't even open them in Design view). You can't import any, either.

above 2 points taken from
    http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2127.html

Re: ....

Originally posted by bmcgee

1)All VBA procedures are compiled — converted from human-readable code (more or less readable, anyway) to a format that only the computer understands. This change prevents a database user from reading or changing your VBA code.

2) No one can create forms or reports or modify the existing ones (you can't even open them in Design view). You can't import any, either.

I am assuming that by "design changes" he was implying vba code, whereas he specifically indicated he WANTS them to be able to change the data.

I was not trying to be smart but my take on it was that when he said he didn't want them to see the database window or make design changes he meant all design changes including ones to the tables or queries, I wouldn't want my employees to change or add fields to queries or tables with out me knowing. If they "custom" fit them to what they are doing it will prevent other user’s who also uses them to do what they need to or see the correct data. An .mde file doesn't work for this and it is way more likely a user will try to change a query or table then vba code. Security options allow for total control of all forms, tables, queries, forms, what not. It is basically like administering a network.

Re: ....

Originally posted by bmcgee
    a .mde file only does the following two things it does NOT keep users from changing queries or tables.

above 2 points taken from
    http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/Dumm...e/id-2127.html
    thats the idea....