Unanswered: Archiving Access tables

I am trying to find the simplest way to periodically archive old records from a database. The autonumber field value of the main table is used as the main ID NUmber (Call-ID) which is contained in other tables. (Most other tables have many occurrences of this one ID # whereas it is unique in themaster table.)

I could set up an archive version of the back and front ends, however I want to preserve the autonumbers. (If I use append queries I think it will renumber them?) The numbers must be preserved--they are extensively used, like invoice #s. I would rather not do additional design by adding a new fields--ideally the archive mdb will be as similar as possible to the original (allowing easier use of another front end with it, etc.)

One possibility I guess is to turn off autonumber in the table design in the archive database.

Due to the number of records I was thinking of creating a new archive database every quarter or year.

Alternatively I could set up a separate mdb file to archive each separate table. (there are at least 10 tables) This would be harder to set up a read-only front end for but would prevent setting up a new archive back & front end each quarter (or year) when old records are moved out.

A key consideration for me is doing this as simply as possible because once I set up the procedure there may be other staff who implement it in future quarters. These people don't know VBA and are not as expert as I am in Access, ranges from newbies to medium expertise (designing simpler, less relational, schemas only).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Yes ... Create an archive table but with no PK matching the primary table. Move records over periodically ...