Unanswered: multiple backends?

I am responsible for several databases that are highly transactional. Once is used by only 3-4 users, the other by 20 or so.

Right now the back end is in a separate MDB file. All tables are in this one back end (excepting one or two samll ones in a separate mdb due to network folder permissions).

I am thinking about putting each table in a separate MDB file. I am mainly considering this for the one with only 3-4 users ( later perhaps the other?). For the 3 user database, this would be about 5 separate backends with each one dedicated to only one (large) table. This database tends to be slow because archiving has only been adhoc (usually when desparation sets in). Also it is hard to archive since users often come wanting data from way back when. I thought perhaps this approach might help performance while not having to archive data as quickly (for those "way back when" requests)

I'd appreaciate any suggestions about this, for or against it, or suggesting other methods.

Thanks,
    Mark

What you could do (this is what I'll be doing ...) is create reports that are specifically targeted to an archive ... Then you can slim down the current data weeding out all the old into the archive ...

Yes, special reports could be created (or revised) to point to the archive. For my appilcation this won't really work, since often the requests involve combining yesterday's data with that from 11 months ago - so I have to move the archived data back into the original table before running it, so all the data is in one place. (The requests are so infrequent, and unpredictable enough that building a special report with a query that merges the two tables is not practical---what fields they want included often vary).

Is there any reason why using multiple back ends, such as one per transaction table is not a good idea?

Mark

just a though, why not use something much faster than Access as a back-end? MySQL comes to mind...
    Cheers!

Mr.Crud

There are 10 kinds of people, ones that understand digital, others that dont

yes, thank you for the suggestion! SQL would be a definite improvement. Unfortunately convincing the powers that be of the value of investing resources in making such a change is quite an uphill battle.

the fact that MySQL is free couldnt hurt!!!
    Cheers!

Mr.Crud

Cool

well, yes but even if no courses or books for staff are paid for (ie staff teach themselves the new skills) there is still staff time taken from other projects or client deadlines :-) You've just got to love bureaucracy, lol

nothing more to say...

Cheers, and good luck!
    Cheers!

Mr.Crud

staff teach themselves
    what else are the weekends for?

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2