Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20

    Unanswered: Re: Instalation of 817ntee on win XP

    I have tried to start the installer - no such luck.
    The setup.exe would not start.
    Any suggestions?
    appreciate any help, thank you

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC (USA)
    Posts
    1,155
    You are probably hitting the Pentium 4 bug ... Unload the CD onto your hard drive, find the file (SYMCJIT.DLL) and rename it, then rerun SETUP.EXE from your hard drive and it should be fine

    It is usually located in:

    stage/components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.7.3.0/1/datafiles/expanded/jre/win32/bin

    HTH
    Gregg

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20
    Originally posted by gbrabham
    You are probably hitting the Pentium 4 bug ... Unload the CD onto your hard drive, find the file (SYMCJIT.DLL) and rename it, then rerun SETUP.EXE from your hard drive and it should be fine

    It is usually located in:

    stage/components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.7.3.0/1/datafiles/expanded/jre/win32/bin

    HTH
    Gregg
    I have renamed the SYMCJIT.DLL into SYMCJIT.old, restarted coputer and setup did not start again. When I searched for the file though I have found two copies in two different folders, should I rename all of them?
    Thank you

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC (USA)
    Posts
    1,155
    Rename them all ... Run setup.exe from your local hard drive, not the CD

    HTH
    Gregg

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20
    Originally posted by gbrabham
    Rename them all ... Run setup.exe from your local hard drive, not the CD

    HTH
    Gregg
    I have done that, and I run setup.exe from my local hard drive ( i downloaded 8i from the Oracle website and unzipped it into a folder on the hard drive)
    With all these being done setup still does not want to run. Is there anything else should be done to make it work?
    thank you

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC (USA)
    Posts
    1,155
    Check to see if you find an ORAPARAMETER.INI file.... If so, look at this
    and change the installation directory ...

    Gregg

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20
    Originally posted by gbrabham
    Check to see if you find an ORAPARAMETER.INI file.... If so, look at this
    and change the installation directory ...

    Gregg
    How should I change the installation directory?
    What kind of changes should be done?
    Thank you.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20
    Originally posted by gbrabham
    Check to see if you find an ORAPARAMETER.INI file.... If so, look at this
    and change the installation directory ...

    Gregg
    This the the content of the ORAPARAMETER.INI that is original (came with the software after it was unziped). Which part of it should be changed?


    [Oracle]
    DISTRIBUTION=TRUE
    SOURCE=../stage/products.jar
    LICENSE_LOCATION=
    JRE_LOCATION=../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.7.30/1/DataFiles/Expanded/jre
    OUI_LOCATION=../stage/Components/oracle.swd.oui/1.7.1.9.0/1/DataFiles/Expanded
    JRE_MEMORY_OPTIONS=-mx96m
    DEFAULT_HOME_LOCATION=\oracle\ora81
    DEFAULT_HOME_NAME=OraHome81
    NO_BROWSE=
    HLP_LOCATION=
    EWT_LOCATION=
    NLS_ENABLED=TRUE
    BOOTSTRAP=FALSE

    [IMAGES]
    FILE1=images/o8i_1.gif
    FILE2=images/o8i_2.gif
    FILE3=images/o8i_3.gif
    FILE4=images/o8i_4.gif
    FILE5=images/o8i_5.gif
    FILE6=images/o8i_6.gif
    FILE7=images/o8i_7.gif
    FILE8=images/o8i_8.gif

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20
    Originally posted by gbrabham
    Rename them all ... Run setup.exe from your local hard drive, not the CD

    HTH
    Gregg
    Gregg
    how do you reach the
    stage/components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.7.3.0/1/datafiles/expanded/jre/win32/bin

    directory, the standard and reachable directories on my computer marked with the \(the backslash) and when I search for this files(i.m. SYMCJIT.DLL) the search results were the regular path for the hard drive disk, etc as well as the path that you have given with the exception that I cannot get the renaming option on that folder.
    Any suggestions?
    I think I am running out of options now and will have to reload my OS just to have the 8i installed on it.
    HELP PLEASE

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Greenville, SC (USA)
    Posts
    1,155
    When I've had a problem with getting SETUP.EXE to run on a P4, I
    copy the entire cd to the hard drive... Then on the hard drive, I find
    the symantic file and rename it. At that point, I am able to run
    the SETUP.EXE from my local hard drive to get the Oracle Installer
    running. I've done this many times for clients over the last 2 years and have never had a problem with it ...

    ie,
    create directory c:\1
    copy Oracle CD to c:\1

    find file SYMCJIT.DLL in:
    c:\1\stage\components\oracle.swd.jre\1.1.7.3.0\1\d atafiles\expanded\jre\win32/bin

    I did change the oraparameter.ini file once to specifically point to this
    directory structure ... but I don't remember the circumstances as to why I had to do that ...

    SOURCE=../stage/products.jar
    JRE_LOCATION=../stage/Components/oracle.swd.jre/1.1.7.30/1...
    OUI_LOCATION=../stage/Components/oracle.swd.oui/1.7.1.9.0/....

    to
    SOURCE=c:\1\stage\products.jar
    JRE_LOCATION=c:\1\stage\Components\oracle.swd.jre\ 1.1.7.30\1...

    HTH
    Gregg

    OUI_LOCATION=c:\1\stage\Components\oracle.swd.oui\ 1.7.1.9.0\....

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20
    Gregg
    I have replaced the oraparameter.ini file to specifically point to the directory structure and SETUP.EXE have started and the installer finished the installation but now I have no idea how to get rid of the
    java.exe error :
    "java.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    The error popped up right when installer changed the window message to the "End of installation"
    I have looked into the content of the report and found following info:
    "szAppName : java.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : symcjit.dll
    szModVer : 3.10.0.107 offset : 0005f974 "

    I thought it was because of the dll that I have changed before the install so I went and renamed them back into dll, restarted computer and still get this message on my screen
    What did I do wrong?
    thank you.
    I guess I can change my user name to "desperate" now :-)

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    St.Louis,MO
    Posts
    120
    Originally posted by student615
    Gregg
    I have replaced the oraparameter.ini file to specifically point to the directory structure and SETUP.EXE have started and the installer finished the installation but now I have no idea how to get rid of the
    java.exe error :
    "java.exe has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience."
    The error popped up right when installer changed the window message to the "End of installation"
    I have looked into the content of the report and found following info:
    "szAppName : java.exe szAppVer : 0.0.0.0 szModName : symcjit.dll
    szModVer : 3.10.0.107 offset : 0005f974 "

    I thought it was because of the dll that I have changed before the install so I went and renamed them back into dll, restarted computer and still get this message on my screen
    What did I do wrong?
    thank you.
    I guess I can change my user name to "desperate" now :-)
    Desperate,
    Read this thread.
    Food for thought.
    http://dbforums.com/arch/50/2002/9/494677

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    St.Louis,MO
    Posts
    120
    Download the Pentium IV java kit from the web which contains the file
    symcjit.dll, version number 3.10.107. The file was downloaded to directory
    C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\Jre\1.2\bin\symcjit.dll

    Replace the symcjit.dll that oracle installed with the new symcjit.dll that
    is downloaded.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    20
    Originally posted by tlael
    Download the Pentium IV java kit from the web which contains the file
    symcjit.dll, version number 3.10.107. The file was downloaded to directory
    C:\Program Files\JavaSoft\Jre\1.2\bin\symcjit.dll

    Replace the symcjit.dll that oracle installed with the new symcjit.dll that
    is downloaded.
    Which part of J2SEv 1.4.2_30 should I download SDK, JRE or both including NetBeans IDE

    Desperate

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    St.Louis,MO
    Posts
    120
    Originally posted by student615
    Which part of J2SEv 1.4.2_30 should I download SDK, JRE or both including NetBeans IDE

    Desperate
    http://java.sun.com/products/archive...jre/index.html

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •