5 years of email... Lost...

Hello everyone,
    I have a teacher who had a TA set up her email account (hotmail) into Outlook Express 6. Something was done wrong and no messages are showing up. There was a total of 214 messages. Now all that happens is Outlook download new messages. I heard from someone to check for a *.pst file and I found one. Outlook.pst . The file is 3,000 kb in size. I tried to import it into outlook and all it says is that its creating journal entries and I havent even used the journal. Please help 5+ years of email were lost.

Regards,
    Ram0135

Post reply to your question on the "lost email"

but first I have a few questions for you about this matter...

1st. What version of windows and outlook are you using and did that change over the time period of five years?

#2.q What option on the hotmail account did you go with "normal (which is free) or paid account?"

Thirdly; have you formated or reinstalled windows since you opened this box postdate disappearance of your messages?

-linuxgoth

Re: reply to your question on the "lost email"

Originally posted by linuxgoth
    but first I have a few questions for you about this matter...

1st. What version of windows and outlook are you using and did that change over the time period of five years?

#2.q What option on the hotmail account did you go with "normal (which is free) or paid account?"

Thirdly; have you formated or reinstalled windows since you opened this box postdate disappearance of your messages?

-linuxgoth
    1. I always checked my email on hotmail so the Windows version is irrelevent. When the incident happened it was/is windows nt 4.0 and Outlook express 6

2. Normal account

3. I have NOT formated or whatever

Re: 5 years of email... Lost...

Originally posted by ram0135
    Hello everyone,
    I have a teacher who had a TA set up her email account (hotmail) into Outlook Express 6. Something was done wrong and no messages are showing up. There was a total of 214 messages. Now all that happens is Outlook download new messages. I heard from someone to check for a *.pst file and I found one. Outlook.pst . The file is 3,000 kb in size. I tried to import it into outlook and all it says is that its creating journal entries and I havent even used the journal. Please help 5+ years of email were lost.

Regards,
    Ram0135
    Normally, Outlook Express stored your mails in following location with .dbx extension, .pst extension use for MS Outlook, not for Outlook Express.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{A1398608-CD7A-4B76-B712-59D1A37286AA}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

This location represent the path of the Outlook Express files for Administrator.

If your user name is "UserA", the path will become ...
    C:\Documents and Settings\UserA\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{????????-????-????-????-????????????}\Microsoft\Outlook Express

The folder, 'Local Settings' is a hidden folder, stored such files
    Deleted Items.dbx
    Drafts.dbx
    Inbox.dbx
    Outbox.dbx
    Pop3uidl.dbx
    Sent Items.dbx
    + others .dbx file which represented your own folders created in Outlook Express.

If you was used web mail to check your e-mail before this incident, you should check with web mail access to ensure that all of your mails was already gone or not.

Do One thing copy the .pst or .dbx file on another machine then create an account on this machine using outlook, and then import all messages from this folder.

cheers...........