Thread: truncate beware

Unanswered: truncate beware

Hi,
    yesterday, I caused mayhem by accidentally truncating the wrong table. I know, a stupid mistake, but it happens!

I checked out the TOAD help and learnt that the truncate and drop buttons can be disabled by adding "ALLOW_DROP_TBL=0" to your TOAD.ini file. This is great as now developers must type in the SQL command 'truncate table_name;', making us slightly more aware of what we are doing.
    My question is can I now create a user that does not have the power to truncate/drop tables. It would be very useful to have such users with only select/insert options.
    cheers
    Cormac

revoke the named privileges from the users granted roles ...

Hi,

Another option available is,

1. first create a user with all the privs like ( CONNECT/RESOURCE roles) and create all the objects in this user.

2. Then create another user and grant only CREATE SESSION privilege. And then grant SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE etc privs on the objects of the first user. Now share the password of the second user..

So first user like master schema. and other users will not have any system privileges. This way you can maintain ur application objects more secure....
    Regards
    Suneel