Unanswered: SID, dbName, global_name

What is difference between SID, dbName and global_name.

I have an instance where these 3 have different values.

db name: dec10_03
    SID: dec1003
    global_name: DEC10_03.US.ORACLE.COM
    Oracle can do wonders !

Re: SID, dbName, global_name

Originally posted by cmasharma
    Hi,

SID must be defined during database creation and is used to
    distinguish between sevearl instances running on the same machine.
    The SID's value is stored in ORACLE_SID environmental variable.

DB_NAME
    The DB_NAME parameter is the value of the database and is the name used when creating the database. It is specified within the INIT.ORA parameter file or in the CREATE DATABASE command. This is one of those parameters that is optional but is always best to set it. this is especially true for the standby database where it should match the production database.

DB_DOMAIN
    DB_DOMAIN is the value of the domain to which the database belongs. It is the location of the database within the network hierarchy.

GLOBAL_NAME
    This little gem has always been at the top of my list for determining what database I am connected to. This is the parameter that everyone use to query and set the prompt for in SQL*PLUS to give a unique identity to the SQL*PLUS session currently active. This parameter is a combination of the DB_NAME parameter and the DB_DOMAIN parameter.

I think this will help u.

Regards
    Uma.Movva

System Identifier (SID)
    A unique name for an Oracle instance. To switch between Oracle databases, users must specify the SID. The SID is included in the CONNECT DATA parts of the connect descriptors in a tnsnames.ora file, and in the definition of the network listener in a listener.ora file.
    Joel Pérez

DB_NAME
    Parameter type
    String

Syntax
    DB_NAME = database_name

Default value
    There is no default value.

Parameter class
    Static

Real Application Clusters
    You must set this parameter for every instance. Multiple instances must have the same value, or the same value must be specified in the STARTUP OPEN SQL*Plus statement or the ALTER DATABASE MOUNT SQL statement.

DB_NAME specifies a database identifier of up to 8 characters. If specified, it must correspond to the name specified in the CREATE DATABASE statement. Although the use of DB_NAME is optional, you should generally set it before issuing the CREATE DATABASE statement, and then reference it in that statement.

If you have multiple databases, the value of this parameter should match the Oracle instance identifier of each one to avoid confusion with other databases running on the system. The value of DB_NAME should be the same in both the standby and production initialization parameter files.

If you do not specify this parameter, you must specify a database name in either the STARTUP command or the ALTER DATABASE ... MOUNT statement for each instance of the cluster database.

The following characters are valid in a database name: alphanumeric characters, underscore (_), number sign (#), and dollar sign ($). No other characters are valid. Oracle removes double quotation marks before processing the database name. Therefore you cannot use double quotation marks to embed other characters in the name. The database name is case insensitive.

See Also:
    Oracle9i Database Administrator's Guide and Oracle9i Real Application Clusters Administration for more information on setting this parameter

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...htm#REFRN10041
    Joel Pérez

GLOBAL_NAMES
    Parameter type
    Boolean

Default value
    false

Parameter class
    Dynamic: ALTER SESSION, ALTER SYSTEM

Range of values
    true | false

GLOBAL_NAMES specifies whether a database link is required to have the same name as the database to which it connects.

If the value of GLOBAL_NAMES is false, then no check is performed. If you use or plan to use distributed processing, then Oracle Corporation recommends that you set this parameter to true to ensure the use of consistent naming conventions for databases and links in a networked environment.

See Also:
    Oracle9i Database Administrator's Guide for more information on setting this parameter

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...htm#REFRN10065
    Joel Pérez