Thread: sorting problem

Unanswered: sorting problem

Hello,

I have an appointment table that stores the appt time as varchar. For example, 1:00 PM or 9:00 AM. When I say "ORDER BY Appointment.Time", it puts 1:00 PM before 9:00 AM. How do I make it put 9:00 before instead? Could you please help me out.

Please note, I store time as varchar because it is much more convenient for me through out the application that way.

Thank you very much.

SELECT * FROM Appointment ORDER BY CAST([Time] AS Datetime) ASC

Originally posted by gyuan
    SELECT * FROM Appointment ORDER BY CAST([Time] AS Datetime) ASC

Thank you very much. It works like a charm.

This is the 3rd post in a couple of days with the same issue. When you are working with date/time values you should store them as datetime datatype within sql server. The problem is if you order by a varchar value it will sort them according to their ascii values - so 1 comes before 9 which is why your order did not function as you expected.

Based on your appointment requirements, the datetime data type should work fine for you.

Originally posted by rnealejr
    This is the 3rd post in a couple of days with the same issue. When you are working with date/time values you should store them as datetime datatype within sql server. The problem is if you order by a varchar value it will sort them according to their ascii values - so 1 comes before 9 which is why your order did not function as you expected.

Based on your appointment requirements, the datetime data type should work fine for you.
    Absolutely, and what's worse is that

ORDER BY CAST([Time] AS Datetime)

Causes the entire result set to be spooled in tempdb, every row in column [Time] coverted to a datetime, and then sorted, every time the query is run.