Unanswered: Oracle Installation for production system

Hello Friends

I am studying for Oracle certification. Could somebody please explain me the setup of oracle in the real life production system for both 8i and 9i. What types of servers to deal with, how the setup is done and what do you mean by instance, how does it work, is instance mean a particular database running like HR db. and how many databases can be on one server.

Thanks
    Ria

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    >Could somebody please explain me the setup of oracle in the real life production system for both 8i and 9i.
    Oracle Universal Installer
    >What types of servers to deal with
    It depends on what the company want to buy & support.
    >how many databases can be on one server.
    It depends upon the size of the DB, the number of users & the "horsepower" of the server.

Thanks a lot,

I haven't worked as a DBA just trying to get this certification done and then look for a job as DBA. So i don't have any knowlege about production or developer databases.
    What I meant by how many servers was how many tiers are involved.
    Like one server for oracle database one server for Applications like that.
    I do know that you can install using universal installer database on Solaris or unix or windows.
    And about instance i know that it is a background processes and the SGA.
    And also that each database run as a seperate service.
    But by instance i can't figure out what exactly it is
    I just need to know in simple words because i really don't know how it works

The number of tiers depends on the application, you could have e.g.

1) apache listening to web requests
    2) the Java application server generating pages for apache
    3) the database/instance serving data to (2)

but you could also have

2) the database/instance serving html pages to (1), using e.g. the new HTMLDB feature of Oracle

or

1) only the database/istance, with users connecting to the database/instance using tools like sqlplus.

The 'database', strictly speaking, is composed of the files where the data is (called 'datafiles' by Oracle), the redo logs, the control files and a bunch of other files. Think 'the data on disk and other disk entities that support the data'.

The 'instance' is composed of the oracle processes in execution, and the SGA. The user connects to the instance, and the instance reads/updated the database.
    With RAC, you can have two or more instances connected to the same database - you can NEVER have an instance connected to two databases.

If you shutdown the machines - all instances are gone, the database stays there. When you start Oracle, you really start one or more instances.

The 'service' is an abstract entity, when you connect to a service you are saying, basically, 'i want to access this service called "accounting"' and so, you are connected to an instance open on the database xyz that holds the data of "accounting"; if there are many instances opened on xyz, you are connected to one of them (you can control which one, usually you don't care), normally the one that is less busy, or one at random.
    A database may have one service or more than one - e.g. services "HR" or "accounting" may belong to the same database, or being hosted on different databases.

You may want to read the Concepts Manual (otn.oracle.com), it is explained in great details (most of the certification topics are discussed on the Concept Manual).

HTH
    Al

>I just need to know in simple words because i really don't know how it works
    I SERIOUSLY doubt that anybody will hire you as a DBA since you
    "really don't know how it works".
    Simply passing a few tests & getting an OCP does NOT make you qualified to be considered as a DBA.

Thanks Alberto,
    It was a great help. I have two machines at home which i have made one as win2k server and other as win2k workstation and hooked them up through a hub.
    The two options you gave earlier
    2) the Java application server generating pages for apache
    3) the database/instance serving data to (2)
    but you could also have
    2) the database/instance serving html pages to (1), using e.g. the new HTMLDB feature of Oracle
    Can I make these setup at home on these two machines.
    I really want to try this to able to know exactly how it works.
    I have read about oracle and know the basic structure and everything, like redo log buffer cache, shared pool and all the database files(datafiles, log files, archieved log file) and non database files (password file, spfile, init file)
    But trying to make up the whole setup like it would be in a real working environment.
    I am interested in getting certified but only after i really understand how the whole setup works by doing it at home.

Again thanks a lot for explaining in detail.

Ria

Ria,
    What are a DBA's two most imporatnt tasks?

Ensure data is available to all user all time.
    Security of data( controlling the users access, authentication..)

Thanks to all of you. and also for the OTN site on oracle. I am finding it a real good info place.
    I will try to find my answers from there if I am stuck on building this whole setup will bother you again.

Thanks again to all of you.
    I am glad that I found this site.
    If anybody know about any other site about oracle please let me know, would really appreciate.

Thumbs up

SATHISH .

Originally posted by kau25569
    Can I make these setup at home on these two machines.
    I really want to try this to able to know exactly how it works.
    In real production environment, it is very likely (but stress on likely) that each will have its dedicated machine (on a high-end production site, each will have its dedicated cluster of machines).

But nothing prevents you from putting everything on the same machine - in your case i would put apache and the Java app server on the workstation, and Oracle on the server - but just because you want to study Oracle, not for other reasons.

Perhaps you could also install only Tomcat and Oracle if your goal is to "try" this configuration - much simpler.

I am interested in getting certified but only after i really understand how the whole setup works by doing it at home.
    This is a very good idea! Anyway, if the certification is OCP DBA, please note that 95% of the cert topics can be experimented by using sqlplus and installing Oracle only ...

Al