Thread: database data

Angry Unanswered: database data

Hello!

I currently run all my ASP code from an Access 2000 database where I use the 'memo' style fields to store my code as text. No problems so far all runs sweet......however I am trying to develop a method of updating the code remotely through URL's/QueryStrings.

Through much trial and error I have managed to encode/decode the ASP code and send it through the URL to other locations and can extract it successfully.

However, I cannot get it back into a database as it tries to run some of the code.

Do I have to convert it again to another format? If so how?

Any comments would be gratefully recieved.

Re: database data

Hmm, interesting aproach.

If your basic requirement is to modify, remotley, the contents of an Access database, then you can use the remote features of adoanywhere browser/REX to modify the data.

But this would require you to instal REX on the server, if it is with an ISP they may refuse.

Both tools are currently free if you register at the adoanywhere forum

http://www.adoanywhere.com

Mike.

Do you want to send the content of the code to another page using query string and then save it into database after modification?

You could try escaping all of your code first using the javascript escape function.

You would have to unescape the code when you pulled it out of the database and whenever you wanted to use it of course.... I don't know if it would work with what you are doing.

Did you try Server.URLEnCode(code) before you send the code to another location using query string?

Do you need to use querystrings?

Won't that limit the max size of your code?

Smile

To all.....

Thanks to all those that came up with suggestions - nice to know there's some help there when you need it!

Just to keep you up to date I changed my tack slightly instead of writing it to a database (the URL encode was trying to run anything with 'Object' in it I found out!) I took the code out of a database (chopped into relative chunks to be passed by the querystring) and reassembled it into a text file writing to it in the first line then appending it there after with each chunk of code.

Just had to call my code from a text page instead.....

Many thanks again,

Stretch