Unanswered: What's the best development tool for Oracle ?

Hi Oracle Experts,

I want to develop a Data Dictionary.

I like Oracle for the backend but it's difficult to decide what's the best choice for the development tool.

I like PL/SQL for development but I'm concerned that I don't seem to be able to find anyone using this approach, such as the Dynamic PSP product.

I'd appreciate any recommendations between PL/SQL (for example with with PL/SQL Developer), Dreamweaver, Cold Fusion, ASP, and so on.

TIA

B.Dimple
    Junior DBA

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    I use vi!

Re: What's the best development tool for Oracle ?

HI Dimps...
    New Year Wishes to you

I presume you are using Win OS. What you need to do is ...

1. Get SQL Navigator ... which solves all your problems of any complexity
    Disadvantage: Its so bloody good product that you dont have to remember any command of any database for creation..modification etc
    . In this process the development velocity would be atleast 20-50 times more than manual PL/SQL editor .. Over a peroid of time when you want to get rid of this ..it could take some time

But neverthless a perfect editor
    Let me know what u think

Orababa
    Keep things simple as the world is already complex

Thumbs up

Hi,

Try with TOAD
    SATHISH .

Re: What's the best development tool for Oracle ?

Originally posted by bdimple

I'd appreciate any recommendations between PL/SQL (for example with with PL/SQL Developer), Dreamweaver, Cold Fusion, ASP, and so on.
    I normally use vi or JEdit and sqlplus for all my PL/SQL development, and it works just fine.

If you want something graphical, many people like Toad or its open-source clone, Tora.

I've also read that JDeveloper is very good for PL/SQL, not for Java only (i've read that in the latest book by Tom Kyte, so it's definitely a good recommendation!), offering color syntax highligthning, auto completion and the like.

For all-pl/sql development, there's HTMLDB, that generates the html pages directly from the database. It's brand-new but IMHO a great idea.

HTH
    Al

Hi Friendly Experts,

I'd like to thank you all for your advice which is a great help and has given me an excellent starting-point for my work.

I will post my results if it turns out I think I have anything valuable to share.

Thanks again.

B.Dimple.