Unanswered: Very New To Access

I am used to creating pages with asp that reference to access, but I have been requested to create forms in access itself! I was wondering if it is possible to create three checkboxs IE Yes No and N/A that reference to say Question_1 in the database named Inbound? is this possible and if sow how?

I am very new to access so go easy

P.S. I also was wondering how I would enter this

IIf([Question_1]=-1,"yes","no")

into the above problem as well maybe some good code page resources

What you want to do can be accompished quite easily. Simply place (drag) 3 seperate Check Boxes into a Frame control then bind the Frame control to whatever question you want in the InBound Table. Each Check Box located within the Frame control should contain it's own unique OptionValue and it will be that OptionValue which will be the answer for a specific question.

For example:

Lets say the first question field located within your InBound table is named Question_1. We now place a Frame control on your form and from the properties window we name it Question1Frame and under the Data tab (also in the properies window) we select the Question_1 table field for ControlSource. Now we put three Check Boxes into the Question1Frame control. The OptionValue (located under the Data tab for our Check Boxes in the properies window) for the first Check Box [Yes] will be 1. For the second Check box [No], the OptionValue will be 2, and for the third Check Box [N/A], the OptionValue will be three. When a User opens the form and selects a answer for Question_1, the answer contained within table for Question_1 will be the OptionValue of the Check Box selected. If the user for example selected NO, then the Question_1 field Located within the InBound Table will contain the number 2.

If you would prefer to have a string contained within the Question_1 table field instead of a number (for example, the word "No") then things will need to be changed somewhat. In any case, it is far better to make the table field contain a reference to the answer rather than a string indicating the answer. Your table wouldn't grow near as fast.

Hope this helps

Ok So I am having trouble trying to figure out the frame thing is that the Bound Object frame cause when I tried that It doesnt show up right do you think you could show me a small example I am alot better with hands on

Also you say that there is an option tab in the data tab to change the vaules to yes I cant find that? that is for the check mark right????

soooo confused

Help

Attched to this post is a sample of what you can do and how to use check boxes in a bound Frame control. The sample is in the line of what you are trying to do.

Hope this helps...

PS: It might be a good idea to change your handle from Crash1HD to something else. I know you mean nothing by it but...there are people out there that thrive on doing just that (crash HD's). More people may then answer your post. Just a thought,
    Attached Files Attached Files

I was also wondering is there a way of creating a dropdown that grabs intials from one table that links to another table and displays the data of that table? without useing subforms?

This is a lot wow that is sweet! It really is amazing what access can do I am going to have fun learning alot can you suggest any good books to do just that????

P.S. The nickname was given to me a really long time ago and I never really thought about it but I could see your point maybe I will think about changing it
    Last edited by Crash1hd; 01-11-04 at 18:37.

Ok I found it yeah! its always after I ask is when I get a solution most of the time
    Last edited by Crash1hd; 01-11-04 at 18:57.

I was also wondering is there a way of creating a dropdown that grabs intials from one table that links to another table and displays the data of that table? without useing subforms?
    The answer to the question above is Yes but you will need to be a little more specific in regards to what you really want to do. Table names etc...

Ok I found it yeah! its always after I ask is when I get a solution most of the time
    With regards to which problem.....?

Oh I couldnt find the frame control that you where useing but I found it the option group and it all made sense. But I am still trying to figure out what would be a good book to buy to learn the code that access uses

There are lots of books out there. You can look in any well known book store, or even your public library for bokks about VBA (Visual Basic for Applications). You can also look for books about Visual Basic (VB). VB and VBA is pretty much the same with only a few little differences (VB generally contains a few more statements and procedures). There are also some ActiveX control differences as well but never the less, basically the same thing.

There are HUNDREDS of books out there and a lot of great VB and VBA forums (like this one).

Hope this helps.