Unanswered: speed up sql query

hi ,

Does anyone have a tip to speed up sql query?
    My database is too large and everyday thousand rows are being added in databse. For viewing this databse, using sql query takes lot of time. I heard that creating index for table can solve this problem. but i am new to that and don't know how to use it. does any one help me to create index and how can i use in sql query.
    my sql statement is

"select * from tbldcs where date between to_date('" & Form2.DTP1 & "','dd-mm-yy') and to_date('" & Form2.DTP2 & "','dd-mm-yy') "
    thanks

Re: speed up sql query

Originally posted by gkal
    hi ,

Does anyone have a tip to speed up sql query?
    My database is too large and everyday thousand rows are being added in databse. For viewing this databse, using sql query takes lot of time. I heard that creating index for table can solve this problem. but i am new to that and don't know how to use it. does any one help me to create index and how can i use in sql query.
    my sql statement is

"select * from tbldcs where date between to_date('" & Form2.DTP1 & "','dd-mm-yy') and to_date('" & Form2.DTP2 & "','dd-mm-yy') "
    thanks
    1. At first good point is to specify only the names of columns what you want in result of the query.
    2. Try to create index for example:
    create index index_name on table_name parallel;
    This is just an example query for index creating i recommend to you look at documentation for more informations.
    3. Try look at documentation and find "Table partitioning" that also helps bud this is advanced feature so first try to learn something about indexing.

Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.