Unanswered: Login to db with user name/passwor

I'm trying to have salesreps login to the database with a password. The database is a list of potential customers they will call and each salesrep is assigned a certain number of leads. So when a salesrep logs in with his/her user name and password I want them to access only the records that are assigned to that salesrep. So if there are 1,000 records in the db, and there are 10 salesrep, each salesrep would get 100 leads and when they open the database they would only be able to see the records that are assigned to them.
    Do I have to use their windows login or do I have to create another login name and password for them in Access. And how is this done?

Thanks for sharing the knowlege.

Re: Login to db with user name/passwor

Originally posted by bsarman
    I'm trying to have salesreps login to the database with a password. The database is a list of potential customers they will call and each salesrep is assigned a certain number of leads. So when a salesrep logs in with his/her user name and password I want them to access only the records that are assigned to that salesrep. So if there are 1,000 records in the db, and there are 10 salesrep, each salesrep would get 100 leads and when they open the database they would only be able to see the records that are assigned to them.
    Do I have to use their windows login or do I have to create another login name and password for them in Access. And how is this done?

Thanks for sharing the knowlege.

Go to Access Help and search for 'workgroup information file'.
    There you will find how to create groups and users.

After you read this and you still have problems, feel free to ask.

I have already attempted to solve this issue by using a few different sources but haven't had success. If you'd help I'd really appreciate it.

In addition to the above:
    I also need to have salesreps see only the “Not Called Contacts” (that are assigned to them) when they login, but also be able to go into the “Pending Sales” and “Closed Sales” as well.
    The flow I have right now is:
    1) Salesrep opens the database, switchboard opens. It has buttons to go to “Contacts” form and to a couple of reports I created. (They see all of their records; “Not Called”, “Pending” or “Closed”. Also, each salesrep can see other salesreps’ contacts. I need to prevent that as I explained above).
    2) When they place a call to a contact they go to another form called “Calls”. In here they put the details of the calls, eg: Call Date, Call Time, Call Result, etc.
    3) From “Calls” Form, if they make a sale they open “Orders” form (which is page 2 in the “Contacts” form.) If no sale, then they go back to “Contacts” page.

Note: I have 2 forms which are derived from the tables. 1) Contacts Form: Page 1: Contacts Page 2: Orders. 2) Orders Form. I’m simply using openform commands to navigate from one form to the other.

The flow I’m trying to achieve is something like this:
    1) Database opens.
    2) Salesrep is prompted to enter user name/password.
    3) Salesrep logs in.
    4) Switchboard opens with options:
    a. “Not Called”
    b. “Pending”
    c. “Closed”
    d. “Print Reports”

I know this has been done many times by experts and there’re ways to achieve this but I don’t know how to do it. I really appreciate any advice from experts and senior members at this point since what I need is a little more than just suggestions or referrals to other websites since I’ve already tried that.

Thanks again.

Originally posted by bsarman
    I have already attempted to solve this issue by using a few different sources but haven't had success. If you'd help I'd really appreciate it.

In addition to the above:
    I also need to have salesreps see only the “Not Called Contacts” (that are assigned to them) when they login, but also be able to go into the “Pending Sales” and “Closed Sales” as well.
    The flow I have right now is:
    1) Salesrep opens the database, switchboard opens. It has buttons to go to “Contacts” form and to a couple of reports I created. (They see all of their records; “Not Called”, “Pending” or “Closed”. Also, each salesrep can see other salesreps’ contacts. I need to prevent that as I explained above).
    2) When they place a call to a contact they go to another form called “Calls”. In here they put the details of the calls, eg: Call Date, Call Time, Call Result, etc.
    3) From “Calls” Form, if they make a sale they open “Orders” form (which is page 2 in the “Contacts” form.) If no sale, then they go back to “Contacts” page.

Note: I have 2 forms which are derived from the tables. 1) Contacts Form: Page 1: Contacts Page 2: Orders. 2) Orders Form. I’m simply using openform commands to navigate from one form to the other.

The flow I’m trying to achieve is something like this:
    1) Database opens.
    2) Salesrep is prompted to enter user name/password.
    3) Salesrep logs in.
    4) Switchboard opens with options:
    a. “Not Called”
    b. “Pending”
    c. “Closed”
    d. “Print Reports”

I know this has been done many times by experts and there’re ways to achieve this but I don’t know how to do it. I really appreciate any advice from experts and senior members at this point since what I need is a little more than just suggestions or referrals to other websites since I’ve already tried that.

Thanks again.
    I suggest we do it one step at a time.
    First we'll try to get the login-stuff working.

Because I don't know which access-version you use and because I learned it myself a couple of months ago on my PC with Office XP (So I'm not sure it's exactly the same in other versions) I will explain the things I know. At least it's a start.
    Another problem might be the translation because I use a Dutch office-version.

But who cares, let's get into bussiness.

Securing your database is done by using workgroup-information files.
    This is a file where all the security-stuff is saved.
    To make a new file go to 'Tools' --> 'Security' --> 'Workgroup management'
    Create a new file and locate it somewhere on a server where all the future users can access it.

Go to 'Tools' --> 'Security' --> 'User and group accounts'
    Here you can create users and group and you are able to assign the users to certain groups.
    Setting the password is only possible when you login as the specified person (this means: changing the password for person A is only possible when you login as person A)

Be aware that a workgroup-information file is not database-related, but PC-related. That means that when you created a workgroup-information file on your PC, no matter what database you open it will always ask for a password.
    You can solve this by using a shortcut to your database :
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\MSACCESS.EXE" "o:\db\myDatabase.mdb" /Wrkgrp "o:\security\myWorgroupInformationFile.mdw"

Once you started your database you can use CurrentUser to get the name of the current logged in user.

I suggest you try this first and as soon this works we'll go the next step.
    Last edited by artemide; 01-13-04 at 03:52.