Unanswered: Oracle8 client to access Oracle9i

Here's my situation:
    I have a laptop with OS XP Pro and having Oracle9i Ent edition installed (everything fine).

Then I need to install on the same laptop client application Oracle8 (SQLPlus and SQL Net 2.3). Installation fine (I finally have 2 oracle homes).

TNSNames.ora of Oracle8 has been configured correctly but when tried to connect using SQLPlus of O8 got an error msg: TNS names could not be resolved.

Checking the service found that there are 2 listeners: 1 belong to oracle9i (up and running) and another belongs to oracle8 (failed). Is having 2 listeners normal? My friend told me I just need 1 listener.

Question: Given that situation what should I do to get client application of Oracle8 connected to Oracle9i database?

Thanks, tubagus

Have you tried coping all your tnsnames.ora entries into both areas.

e.g.

8i tnsnames.ora

database 1
    database 2
    database 3

9i tnsnames.ora

database 1
    database 2
    database 3

1 listener for many databases on one box is the norm

What I'm trying to do is to connect to Oracle9i database using application that utilizes SQL*Net 2.3. (therefore I installed it from Oracle8 CDs not Oracle8i).

And only 1 database is installed (that is from Oracle9i). All TNSNames.ora are configured.

tby

SQL*Net 2.3 with 9i are not supported therefore I would expect the reason you cannot connect to the 9i database is because the 2 are not compatible.

sorry about that

8.1.6 / 8.1.5 client were never supported with 9.2.0 server
    8.1.6 client was supportd with 9.0.1 server