Unanswered: Apache installation coerces ORACLE installation?

Hi All,

I installed TOMCAT 5.0.

After installing TOMCAT, I faced the problem " ORA 12571:TNS PACKET WRITER FAILURE" while trying to access SQL PLUS.

I am not really sure whether TOMCAT installation is the reason for this packet writer failure. Can someone please through more light on this topic?
    I came across some material telling that since the port "8080" is shared by both SQLPLUS and TOMCAT . If that is the case how can I overcome this problem?

Also, I didnt find any sufficient material to overcome this dreaded packet writer failure. So in the end I had to re-install my OS. :-(

Please help!

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    SQL*PLUS typically does NOT use port 8080; and neither does SQL*Net.

Hi,

Please tell me the port number occupied by SQL Plus if it is not 8080?

Where the Surf Meets the Turf @Del Mar, CA
    Provided Answers: 1
    The default port number for SQL*Net is 1521.

Thanx anacedent,

If that is the case, then i am still wondering why should i get that "tns packet writer failure".

I installed Apache Tomcat 5.0 in the port 8080. After this installation i get this paining error message. Soon, i searched all around but couldnt find a solution so had to reinstall the OS itself.

So, what do you think could be the reason for this ORA 12571 error message?

Also, I also knew a friend of mine who also faced this error message while accessing SQL Plus after installing Oracle 9iAS.

I am not able to guess any other reason other than this port problem. If you know pls help!

bfn