Thread: Securtiy

Talking Unanswered: Securtiy

Morning Gang, I have a MS Project database that has requires user security parameters. I need to setup a Administrator with Full access to the database and users that only limited access to the database. The problem is on the tools menu from the main form I dont have access to any of the options on the tab except set password. please advise.

Thanks

Microsoft Access security is a pretty deep subject. Your best bet is to have a look at the Microsoft Knowledge base.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...&ln=EN-US&FR=0

Type in the word security and away you go.
    Hope this helps

David

Re: Securtiy

Originally posted by garrydawkins
    Morning Gang, I have a MS Project database that has requires user security parameters. I need to setup a Administrator with Full access to the database and users that only limited access to the database. The problem is on the tools menu from the main form I dont have access to any of the options on the tab except set password. please advise.

Thanks
    You could do this many different ways ... Thru the Users and Groups permissions or you could do it programmatically ... Take your pick.

Cool Security

I cant get access to the usergroups permission. I took over for the developer who is no longer here. He developed the database for one of our user who will serve as the administrator.

Re: Security

I cant get access to the usergroups permission. I took over for the developer who is no longer here. He developed the database for one of our user who will serve as the administrator.
    Ok. So how do you want to do it?

Smile Security

I'd like to do this via the gui utility. How is it activated

Re: Security

If I am not mistaken, you can replace or use another/empty system db file (SDW), you will be able to take ownership of the objects in the db. For example try using it on a new/different Access installation where the SDW is local/new/standard. I am not quite sure on how this works, but have some info on this somewhere - can have a look if you need more input.

Thumbs up Security

Please take a look at what I'm up against

Exclamation

Well, it is pretty much true of any fileserver based database that "the security model is good for preventing people from shooting data in the foot; but it is not sufficient for securing the data."

Posession, after all, is nine-tenths of the law. In order to use the database I must have at least read access to it. Therefore I can copy it, steal it, unlock it at my leisure. Even if the data file is meaningfully encrypted, I do not need to provide a key to access the data; therefore the key is present but concealed; therefore it can be recovered. Therefore it is a discouragement but not a prevention; hence, not security. The methods of doing this are not even secret: "just download and do it." The 'locks' fall right off.

If you are securing the data to truly prevent its disclosure, then not only is Access "not it," no fileserver system could be. However... there are a lot of cases where all you really want is for something to go "click!" and not "BANG!" when the barrel is pointed in the wrong direction. For this purpose, Access's scheme (while rather stuffy and baroque and over-engineered) works as good as any in the field.

(And doesn't Master Locks sell millions of little padlocks that are much, much stronger than the hasps used to attach them to ... umm ... wooden doors, or metal doors in wooden frames? Those padlocks work just fine for the limits and purpose of their application.)
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com