Unanswered: How to count incidence from 10 fields?

Hi!

I have 10 fields that is either a "yes" or a blank. I need to know how can I check if there's more than 1 field(out of the 10) that has a "yes" entry.

thanks.

Re: How to count incidence from 10 fields?

Originally posted by Jigsatics
    Hi!

I have 10 fields that is either a "yes" or a blank. I need to know how can I check if there's more than 1 field(out of the 10) that has a "yes" entry.

thanks.
    Well from the rather vague question, there are numerous ways to do this ...

Sorry...

Here's the situation:

I have 10 fields representing 10 establishments. Each of them can either be a "yes" or a blank. I have another field(MainTourism) that contains the main establishment. The MainTourism field should only be filled in if they have more than one establishments checked(meaning there should be more than 1 field that contains a "yes"). How can I do this in a query?

Create new fields for each of the 10 establishments and in those create iif statements looking for a "yes" and if true, returning the value of 1.

All the remains is to sum those fields. If the result is greater than 1, then... else...

Does that help?

Regards - Andy

Sorry...

Here's the situation:

I have 10 fields representing 10 establishments. Each of them can either be a "yes" or a blank. I have another field(MainTourism) that contains the main establishment. The MainTourism field should only be filled in if they have more than one establishments checked(meaning there should be more than 1 field that contains a "yes"). How can I do this in a query?
    Where are these 10 fields? In ONE table? multiple tables?

They are all in one table.

Sorry...

Here's the situation:

SELECT COUNT(IIf(Check1=True,1,0) + IIf(Check2=True,1,0) + ... + IIf(Check10=True,1,0)) AS Expr1 FROM MyTableNameHere;

i'm not so sure about the COUNT()

isn't it more like:
    SELECT * FROM blah WHERE (iif(check1,1,0) + iif(check2,1,0) + ....
    + iif(check10,1,0)) > 1;

...but that's ugly too.

izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I tried your SQL query and all I got is a column EXPR1 with the number 35927 which corresponds to the total number of records in the table. I was expecting a value for every record but I only got one.

it's probably time for a little clarification about what you are trying to do.

M Owen's COUNT will ...produce a number
    my WHERE should produce all records where more than 1 check is checked.
    your last post suggests you want to produce all records where more than 1 check is checked and show the number of checks checked.

what do you really want? izy
    currently using SS 2008R2

I tried your SQL query and all I got is a column EXPR1 with the number 35927 which corresponds to the total number of records in the table. I was expecting a value for every record but I only got one.
    You didn't SAY Thaaaaaat .... Drop the COUNT() from the query then ....

Jig,

Please also note that you will need to provide the appropriate filtering etc ... for the query.

Thanks izy. It worked.