Thread: Charts in Excel

Question Unanswered: Charts in Excel

I have a MS word document which has got lots of excel charts embedded in it and whenever I try to open my word doc it takes a long time for the charts to get populated. Is there any key or shortcut that will kill the process for all the charts to populate that I can use to just open the word document without the excel charts?
    Thanks
    Sri

Thumbs up Re: Charts in Excel

I got the soln for this from another source - here it is - You have to go to Tools|Options|General Tab and uncheck auto update link option and click OK. Hope this helps!
    Thanks

Originally posted by sri2003
    I have a MS word document which has got lots of excel charts embedded in it and whenever I try to open my word doc it takes a long time for the charts to get populated. Is there any key or shortcut that will kill the process for all the charts to populate that I can use to just open the word document without the excel charts?
    Thanks
    Sri

Really appreciate you taking the time to provide the solution. This helps others on the board.

Thanks.
    old, slow, and confused
    but at least I'm inconsistent!

Rich
    (retired Excel 2003 user, 3/28/2008)

How to ask a question on forums

SRI Thanks for posting the solution you found :-) It sounds like you mean that this option should be set in Word? (not in Excel).

I've found that if you have linked Excel charts or fields in a Word document - if they link so they refresh, and not just copied - it is always best to open Excel before you open the Word file. Sometimes I actually open the files in Excel which have the links, but I can't say for sure that's faster than just opening Excel with no spreadsheets open.

This has saved me a lot of frustration. Also if you aren't going to be repeatedly using the document, if you don't need it to refresh your data just paste it into Word, don't link it.

If you are running Word 97 then there is likely to be more bugs and hassles with linked stuff than in Word 2000 in my experience. Your server configurations and OS may also affect results, I don't know much about the hardware aspects like that though.

Mark
    Last edited by mdr02125; 01-14-04 at 19:35.

Talking

Mark
    You had stated all wonderful solutions/options. Yes I did my option unchecking through word. The problem with data pasting as opposed to linking is that my specific application the excel part is done by our developers and the client gets the word report - so for the final validation where I had issue we decided to keep it as a link before submitting the report to the client. One of the interesting things I heard from MS community is Word 2000 has got few bugs so I should move to 2003 - I wish I could say the same to my boss
    Thanks