Unanswered: tablespace extents

Ola - i run datawarehouse table schedules. some tables fall over at times for various reasons. if table_spaces are full, the tables fall over - i have had a new error (ora-01630) that reads ' max # extents reached in tablespace...'

i understand tablespaces, but what exactly are extents with regard to tablespaces?
    rgs,

Ghostman

by default a table can do 4096 extends of the predefined chunk of bytes

change either the tablespace or for the table in question the maxextends parameter

Thumbs up

Hi,

This max extents error occurs when the current number of extents in a temporary segment equals the maximum number of extents specified by the MAXEXTENTS storage option for the object or by the maximum number of extents allowable for the db_block_size, whichever is smaller, and an attempt is made to add another extent.
    SATHISH .

Thank you all...
    rgs,

Ghostman

Re: tablespace extents

extent
    Second level of logical database storage. An extent is a specific number of contiguous data blocks allocated for storing a specific type of information.

Related Concepts: data block, segment

data block
    Smallest logical unit of data storage in an Oracle database. Also called logical blocks, Oracle blocks, or pages. One data block corresponds to a specific number of bytes of physical database space on disk.

segment
    Third level of logical database storage. A segment is a set of extents, each of which has been allocated for a specific data structure, and all of which are stored in the same tablespace.
    Joel Pérez