Unanswered: Restoring backup to new server... bad container path

I've been tasked with restoring a database from backup, but I am not a DBA and have minimal experience with any database. I'm using DB2 6.1 FP11 on Windows 2000.

I have the backup at c:\backup and no databases created, not even the sample DB (fresh install of everything). The backup timestamp is Jan 11 2004 at 22:00:00. I tried to create a database from the backup in the control center as well as using the command line (restore db mydb from c:\backup to c and get the same error message:

SQL0298N Bad container path. SQLSTATE=428B2

When I run '? 428B2' I get "The path name for the container is not valid"

Since I don't understand what containers or tablespaces are, I have a hard time understanding the other options for 'restore'.

Is there a tutorial or can anybody write down some easy instructions for this? Unfortunately, with no DBA and no support contract, this sort of thing falls into the hands of somebody like me who shouldn't be administering a database.

Re: Restoring backup to new server... bad container path

Refer the command reference for V6.1 and you can get help on RESTORE command. Here you can get some examples on how to do redirected restore. You can also get additional information from DB2 Information Center.

Refer the link:

ftp://ftp.software.ibm.com/ps/produc...r/db2n0e60.pdf

Re: Restoring backup to new server... bad container path

Visit the new-look IDUG Website , register to gain access to the excellent content.

Thank you both. It appears now my problem is that I only have an online backup, but no roll forward log files, so I can restore, but not use the database until I do the rollforward. There is a small chance that I have a very old offline backup if that will help. Is there any way to get usable data from an online backup? I'd settle for extracting ASCII text files from the backup so I could manually input the most recent data.

Thanks again.