Thread: Requirement

Requirement

My resume was sent for a job and one of there requirements is:
    'They will be doing the design and architecture of production stabilization (this is not a development position).'

I am not sure what that means.

Please explain.............

Production stabilization....What kind of company is this for? What is the name of the position you are applying for?

Certus,

Thanks for responding so quickly!!!
    I applied for a dba position with a bank.
    They want to interview me!
    I have been a dba for 5 years and never heard of production stabilization.

Here are the requirements:

Need a Oracle DBA with the following skills:

Required:

Manager requested someone with articulate communication.

need someone that has at least 1 terabyte experience
    exp with 9i
    They will be doing the design and architecture of production stabilization (this is not a development position).
    Someone from a datawarehousing environment.
    Unix Korn Shell scripting experience

Desired:
    OCP
    Ab Initio

Key Points:
    Team is growing.....right now it is a small group of 4 team members.
    Exposure to a variety of environments
    Will be upgrading to 10G soon
    If they are not an OCP this will give them some good experience to pass the exam

I found this:

http://citeseer.nj.nec.com/context/308296/0

Can't say I have ever heard the term in computing or banking, personally.

May be an economics concept.

http://econpapers.hhs.se/article/ucp..._3a1011-33.htm

"production stabilization" just means their production database is not stable and they need someone to stabilize it

for example, sometimes the system hums along nicely, but sometimes it grinds to a halt, sometimes the applications work, sometimes they get rolled back for resource contention, sometimes the programs abort for data integrity problems, sometimes the database is not available, sometimes the database server crashes, sometimes... , sometimes... , sometimes...

one simple example: let's say you have a clustering index on an identity customer number and the biggest transaction load is on new customers added within the last few hours -- then most of the page reads will be concentrated in one part of the physical database and performance will be truly crappy (i'm not a dba and even i know this much)

the "stabilization" guy would look at this example and say "your clustering index is wrong"
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Certus and r937,

Thanks for your responses. I am still nervous. I have an interview tomorrow.

Rest easy. Go with rudy on this one.

r937 said...
    one simple example: let's say you have a clustering index on an identity customer number and the biggest transaction load is on new customers added within the last few hours -- then most of the page reads will be concentrated in one part of the physical database and performance will be truly crappy (i'm not a dba and even i know this much)

the "stabilization" guy would look at this example and say "your clustering index is wrong"
    That's a really good example of what the bank is probably dealing with. A few suggestions:
    • Don't try to bluff anyone! If you don't know what they mean by a particular term, don't pretend that you do! Ask! It's all right!
    • The bank might be looking for someone who not only can understand the problem and express it in laymen's terms (as r937 just did), but who can actually talk to people who do not wear pocket-protectors about it.

For instance, it would be great to find someone who could explain it as simply and lucidly as r937 did, not cryptically, as in "your clustering index is wrong."

"My clustering index is wrong? Oh my. And what am I supposed to do now, turn around when nobody's looking and check to see if my fly is open?"

When databases foul up, for whatever cryptic technical reasons there might be, customers leave to go to different banks who have their act together, and managers reflect the fires they're getting from customers right down onto the I.T. department's neck. They are looking for someone who can put the fires out.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com

the stabilization guy would say "your clustering index is wrong" to himself and just fix it, thus looking like a hero

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL

Note also that rudy inferred the definition of "production stabilization". I went and asked around work and asked our production DBAs if they had heard of the term. They said, "no". When I gave rudy's definition they said that sounded reasonable.

The term is not mainstream.
    Last edited by certus; 01-13-04 at 18:28.