Thread: DB2 ROWID info

Unanswered: DB2 ROWID info

Hi All,

I am involved in WMQI development. My task is to read and update a DB2 database. One of the fields type is BLOB.

I wish to know, anyone have an idea about DB2 ROWID. Will they be automatically created? How can I access them? Are they unique?

Thanks in advance.

There is no equivalent to an Oracle ROWID in db2. You might want to use db2 IDENTITY property to get row number.

Alternate approach would be to use GENERATE_UNIQUE built-in function and store the unique data in a new column in the table. It would generate 13 bytes bit data (CHAR(13) FOR BIT DATA) that are unique across the system. The GENERATE_UNIQUE function is persistent across database reorganization and migrations. Below is an example of how it can be used in a insert statement. When it is used as the primary key.

INSERT INTO <tab_name> VALUES (GENERATE_UNIQUE(), ?, ?, ?)

Hope this helps.

"There is no equivalent to an Oracle ROWID in db2. You might want to use db2 IDENTITY property to get row number." In my opinion, RIDs are the equivalent of oracle ROWIDs - they are inaccessible in db2, which is a different issue.

Provided Answers: 1
    Originally posted by cchattoraj
    "There is no equivalent to an Oracle ROWID in db2. You might want to use db2 IDENTITY property to get row number." In my opinion, RIDs are the equivalent of oracle ROWIDs - they are inaccessible in db2, which is a different issue.
    There is a ROWID data type in DB2 for OS/390 that I think can be used pretty much like Oracle's ROWID.