Thread: Requirement

Unanswered: Requirement

My resume was sent for a job and one of there requirements is:
    'They will be doing the design and architecture of production stabilization (this is not a development position).'

I am not sure what that means.

Please explain.............

Re: Requirement

If you are going to work as DBA you will have to work with analysts during all phases in the project.

The job opportunity is for either DBA's, Developer or Analysts ?
    Joel Pérez

Joel,

Thanks for that quick response. I am a 5 year DBA and I have never heard of such wording. I have always worked with analysts and developers when we are first created a database enviroment. BUT, the are saying we are not developing. Hmmmmmmmm.......

Re: Requirement

Originally posted by xeon
    My resume was sent for a job and one of there requirements is:
    'They will be doing the design and architecture of production stabilization (this is not a development position).'

I am not sure what that means.

Please explain.............
    Job agents are muppets, they dont understand the terminology or the technology, they are bottom feeders in the foodchain of the IT professional ... what they mean, is that you won't be sitting there coding forms and web pages and reports of the the typical development flavor...
    rgs,

Ghostman

Thanks for all the responses. Perhaps I will get this job!!!

Your welcome and Good Luck xeon!
    Joel Pérez

down on the cube farm, left then right then another left
    I concur with the view of "job agents".

"production stabilization". Regardless of the position this probably translates to in the best case "you will be required to support our product" to the worst case "we have a pile of junk that we call a product and you will need to make it usable".

Good luck on the job.

Joel and Todd,

Thank you for your responses again. I just found out that they are on a UNIX platform and I have not used Unix in 3 years. Now I have to brush up on that. I think I am doomed. I am not sure what type of questions they are going to ask me.

Originally posted by xeon
    Joel and Todd,

Thank you for your responses again. I just found out that they are on a UNIX platform and I have not used Unix in 3 years. Now I have to brush up on that. I think I am doomed. I am not sure what type of questions they are going to ask me.
    Really if your ROLE is as DBA , do not worry because Unix will follow being Unix. A DBA has not be an expert OS administrator. A DBA has only to know command to handle files, see storage and performance issues and so on. If you have done all this you do not have to worry about.
    Joel Pérez

Wink

Joel,

That is what I am concerned about. I need to brush up on the commands. I am currently working on a Windows Platform and the commands are TOTALLY DIFFERENT. I use sql plus etc.
    I am afraid that they are going to ask me something and I am not going to know it.

Then simply be honest. Like most things the learning will come back once you are in the environment again. Tell them "I haven't used Unix for 3 years but I am confident that I can handle any of the requirements" (assuming you can). If they are not expecting you to be the OS administrator you should have nothing to worry about. Most UNIX users only know 10% of UNIX.

Finally. If you do not get the job you do not get the job. In that case the job you are supposed to have is still out there.

Todd,

That is a good point. You have just triggered my memory and when I worked on unix before it was thru a third party utility "Toad". I never wrote too many shell scripts anyway.

Toad is still available.

Are we talking about the same "Toad"?

Toad is purely a GUI frontend to an Oracle database. It doesn't matter whether your DB is hosted on nix, Windoze or Mars, Toad has no bearing on it.

It certainly has nothing to do with OS Admin on a *nix box.

Hth
    Bill
    Please don't email me directly with questions. I've probably just got home from the pub and cannot guarantee the sanity of my answers. In fact, I can't believe I actually made it home.