Unanswered: db2 7.1 install problem on w2k - multiple instances

I am experiencing a strange error when installing DB2 7.1 FP 8 (db2 7.1.0.72) on a Windows 2000 Server (SP3) within a Windows domain.

The windows server is part of a Domain, and the account I am using is a domain account that is also used to administer another windows server that is running the same version of DB2 UDB.

I have observed the Windows local security policies, including "Logon Locally" for this domain account, and the account has administrative authority on the server in question.

Problem: After succesfully installing UDB and launching Control Center through First Steps, I see mutiple instances of "DB2" followed by my node name. I see one entry for each install I've done (e.g. "DB2 (MYNODE1)" then "DB2 (MYNODE2)"

I am puzzled by this because I have also completely re-installed Windows to take out the possibility that the uninstall left anything.
    Also, attempting to ATTACH and UNCATALOG generates an error that
    they don't exist.

I question the network account, and the fact that it is also used to administer another windows server running UDB -- could it be a windows roaming profile? Maybe I'm missing something else?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Re: db2 7.1 install problem on w2k - multiple instances

Originally posted by chrisdelgado
    I am experiencing a strange error when installing DB2 7.1 FP 8 (db2 7.1.0.72) on a Windows 2000 Server (SP3) within a Windows domain.

<snipped>

Problem: After succesfully installing UDB and launching Control Center through First Steps, I see mutiple instances of "DB2" followed by my node name. I see one entry for each install I've done (e.g. "DB2 (MYNODE1)" then "DB2 (MYNODE2)"

I am puzzled by this because I have also completely re-installed Windows to take out the possibility that the uninstall left anything.
    Also, attempting to ATTACH and UNCATALOG generates an error that
    they don't exist.

<snipped>

Did you format the drive before installing Windows again?

If not, the old db2 node and database catalog files are still on your system. You can display what's in it from the commandline with the commands:

db2 list node directory
    db2 list admin node directory
    db2 list database directory

Depending on the output you get, some entries can probably be removed with the uncatalog command.

Kind regards, Gert

Thanks for your reply, Gert. No, I did not re-format
    the disk, but I am doing so right now per your suggestion.

Do you know where the old db2 node and database
    catalog files are located? Adding to my complexity
    is that I'm using a domain account -- is it possible
    that these old files are even "cached" somewhere
    outside the windows server (say on the network?) ?

Thanks again.

Originally posted by GertK
    Did you format the drive before installing Windows again?

If not, the old db2 node and database catalog files are still on your system. You can display what's in it from the commandline with the commands:

db2 list node directory
    db2 list admin node directory
    db2 list database directory

Depending on the output you get, some entries can probably be removed with the uncatalog command.

Kind regards, Gert

Originally posted by chrisdelgado
    Thanks for your reply, Gert. No, I did not re-format
    the disk, but I am doing so right now per your suggestion.

Do you know where the old db2 node and database
    catalog files are located? Adding to my complexity
    is that I'm using a domain account -- is it possible
    that these old files are even "cached" somewhere
    outside the windows server (say on the network?) ?

Thanks again.
    The (admin) node catalog are in the DB2 instance directory. If you didn't change the DB2INSTPATH variable this dir is %DB2PATH%\DB2\SQLNODIR and the instances database directory is in ..\SQLDBDIR.
    Also, when everything is 'by default' a DB2 directory exists in the root of the drive you installed DB2 on. This directory contains all database files and also a local database directory.

Now you know where they are but please don't mess around with them, just use some uncatalog commands to remove the rubbish.

Kind regards, Gert