Unanswered: How to search large database

HI,

I have a database that contains 300 K records, who can give me some suggetion about how to improve the search performance.

thanks,
    george

It depends on what your data is and what you will be looking for. Can you explain more?

Re: How to search large database

I have a database that contains 300 K records, who can give me some suggetion about how to improve the search performance.
    (1) Fields that are going to be searched-on frequently, by a particular value or range of values, should be indexed. These fields do not need to be the only fields that are searched; only "enough to reduce the number of candidate records from 300,000 to a few thousand." The tradeoff is that each index must be maintained for every insert/edit/delete that occurs.

(2) For text-fields, full-text indexing in MySQL works very well.

(3) Examine the queries that you are issuing. Examine the query-plans ("how MySQL plans to do the work"). Often you will find that a slight revision to a query greatly improves (or degrades) its performance.

"300,000 records" qualifies as a "moderately sized" database. It's large enough to reveal some inefficiencies. But it's no "strain" for MySQL.
    ChimneySweep(R): fast, automatic
    table repair at a click of the
    mouse! http://www.sundialservices.com